Introductory Graphics Question

Started by
2 comments, last by Will F 18 years, 8 months ago
Hello all, This looks like a very helpful site. Perhaps someone can assist me with my graphics problem.... I have a 3D particle distribution. I want to design a graphics driver that will allow the user to manipulate the 3D distribution in real-time using a mouse. That is, he or she should be able to rotate the particle distribution about any axis, zoom in and out, and recenter. The particles will stay fixed relative to one another. My question is: what is the best graphics library or package to start out with? I can work in C/C++ or Fortran, and the library must be free. :) Thanks! DJ
Advertisement
Look into either OpenGL or DirectX. They're free, and you can use C/C++.
Yes, thank you. OpenGL seems to have all of the translation/rotation capabilities used in shifting viewpoints, but I don't know how to design an interface between the mouse and the functions in that library.

I have a little bit of experience with glade and gtk, so I know it must have something to do with a signal handler or something. That is, there must be something to 'catch' the signals from the mouse and activate the corresponding functions.

So my NEW question is, what would be best to use for communication between the mouse and the program?

BTW: I am using Linux and X-windows at the moment.

Thanks again!
DJ
Take a look at SDL, it can setup an OpenGL context (window) for you and handle input (mouse, keyboard, joysticks, etc).

The NeHe tutorials are also a good place to look for getting started with OpenGL (if you scroll down to the bottom of each tutorial there is SDL/linux source code).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement