What language are you beginners using these days?

Started by
22 comments, last by Oluseyi 18 years, 8 months ago
I'm seein a lot of C++ threads around here. C++ is a good language, and I guess it is the 'industry standard', but if all you want to do is make games for the fun of it, I suggest learning python. I have been programming in C/C++ for several years now, and I think I am going to be switching to python for the majority of the stuff I write prety soon here. here is why. -no more messing around with character arrays. -easy to use OOP system. -write once, run everywhere. -nearly impossible to have memory leaks. I suggest looking at that over a traditional language, if all you want to do is make games.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Advertisement
I know java the best, and then C++. I have also messed with C# some. I learned some VB a while back too, although I have gotten rusty on that.
While I cannot attest to Python, the first point is largely invalid. There's no real need to fiddle with character arrays in actual game code when std::string is available.
Quote:Original post by Telastyn
While I cannot attest to Python, the first point is largely invalid. There's no real need to fiddle with character arrays in actual game code when std::string is available.

Compared with python's native type capabilities, std::string is a toy.

I largely agree with PnP Bios, besides the fact that I don't particularly like OOP, at least, not the usual definition.

If any of you would like to see what can be done in python, you can download my latest game with source--please excuse the programmer art and lack of sound. The entire game was made in 72 hours for the 72 hour game programming competition, so it lacks quite a bit of polish.
I've been looking at C++ for about 7 months now, as you well know I've not got that far, but not too bad either.

I did 3-4 years of VB at school, I'm rusty on that now. I thought about giving C# a go because I've got the VC# Beta on a cover DVD from a magazine, but I don't see much point in switching languages just now.
I'm a newb and I like python, but all the best books and resources and tutorials are geared toward C and C++, so for someone trying to learn independently, there is a mountain of information. Python doesn't really have the type of hold-your-hand-and-walk-you-through-it tutorials that most über newbies crave.
skulldrudgery--A tricky bit of toil
Quote:Original post by skulldrudgery
Python doesn't really have the type of hold-your-hand-and-walk-you-through-it tutorials that most über newbies crave.

Unfortunately, C++ tutorials are generally more like hold-your-hand-and-lose-you-in-the-swamp.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Quote:

Perhaps so [don't know, never used python], but that still doesn't make char *'s a requirement.
Quote:Original post by Telastyn
Quote:

Perhaps so [don't know, never used python], but that still doesn't make char *'s a requirement.

C++ may not require them, but I'd be surprised if you can do very much without running into a one, though.
Quote:Original post by PnP Bios
I'm seein a lot of C++ threads around here. C++ is a good language, and I guess it is the 'industry standard', but if all you want to do is make games for the fun of it, I suggest learning python.

I have been programming in C/C++ for several years now, and I think I am going to be switching to python for the majority of the stuff I write prety soon here. here is why.

-no more messing around with character arrays.
-easy to use OOP system.
-write once, run everywhere.
-nearly impossible to have memory leaks.

I suggest looking at that over a traditional language, if all you want to do is make games.
How many complete games have you made with Python?

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement