Heres my game, Rymdskepp

Started by
15 comments, last by orcfan32 18 years, 8 months ago
IF THE GAME DOSEN'T RUN, READ THE README.TXT, please Finally it is time. Though I feel far from done with it, I have realized that it probably wont be for quite some time either. So why not let you people enjoy what is, until i hopefully make it better? The game is a 2-player hot-seat game called Rymdskepp, wich is Swedish for "spaceship". Each player commands a spaceship and the object is to turn your opponent and his ship into space dust. The concept is liero meets Spacewar95. Hopefully this means something to you =). Rymdskepp features: - Intensive space action for 2 players on one computer. - 4 unique ships to command. - 10 fearsome weapons to blast your foe into oblivion. - (Kind of) realistic physics engine, including radial gravity towards multiple objects. - 3 maps to master. - A ~1.20 long looped music sample. - Command line handling that for example enables you to disable the music. Here are some screens:

Rymdskepp was written in c++ using hxrender for graphics and fmod for sound. I would like to thank Joel Loganecker aka. PnP Bios for all the help with the game, and for writing the superb hxrender. I probably wouldn't have been able to do it without you, and certainly not in time. I would also like to thank lithis for letting us use his music. Download it here Don't forget: hxrender is great, read more here. =) Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it. Peace! [Edited by - ambiguity on August 6, 2005 5:11:21 PM]
RymdskeppPsyborg Faction - It pays to be more than human.
Advertisement
I get a black screen, hear some music and am catapulted back to the desktop

stderr: Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
"It's better to regret something you've done than to regret something you haven't done."
try extracting it to something like c:\rym, it says in the readme that it doesn't like long paths for some reason.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Doesn't work here either, I hear some music, then about three click sound and the game is minimized, this take about 3 seconds. If I try to maximize the game the same thing happens.

System:
AMD Athlon64 3200+
nVidia GeForce 6600GT 128MB
2x512MB DDR400

EDIT: Doesnt work if I extract the game to D:\Rym(D: = Primary drive)
What version of SDL is everybody using? 1.2.8 works fine with it.
--and delete the SDL.DLL presented in the directory.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Quote:Original post by PnP Bios
What version of SDL is everybody using? 1.2.8 works fine with it.
--and delete the SDL.DLL presented in the directory.

I tried to replace the DLL in the directory (version 1.2.4) with version 1.2.8, still doesn't work.
it works after extracting it to c:\rym

I like the attention to detail, like how the rockets are influenced by the gravity of the planet and the moon. I did find the gravity of the planet to be somewhat too strong. I'm basically spending more time trying not to crash than aiming on the other guy.
"It's better to regret something you've done than to regret something you haven't done."
To all you people having trouble getting it to work, I can only say that I'm sorry. There is some kind of strane bug on some machines, and I have no idea whatsoever what it is. =( If it does not run on your machine, do as PnP Bios said, and try to place it on a short path, like C:\rymdskepp. Sometimes it works, no idea why. Otherwise, I am deeply sorry.
Quote:Original post by Shai
it works after extracting it to c:\rym

I like the attention to detail, like how the rockets are influenced by the gravity of the planet and the moon. I did find the gravity of the planet to be somewhat too strong. I'm basically spending more time trying not to crash than aiming on the other guy.

You will hopefully get into it. A part of the challange is supposed to be in the gravity. Going into orbit often seems to do the trick if you want to aim and fly at the same time. I agree however that it is a bit to hard to get in to, so I am considering an option to set the gamma (gravitational constant) yourself.
Add some AI and I think it could be quite fun for a while! Great job, I didn't have any problems playing it. I like your starfield how did you generate it?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement