• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mega Muffin

Best route for me?

This topic is 4847 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, and I really apologize ahead of time if my answer is in some article or something, but I looked and couldn't find what I was looking for. I read the article on which compiler and which language to use, but I still have more questions. Okay, here are a few things you should know. I'm going to be a senior in high school next year, and I've taken one year of Visual Basic, so I am familiar with that kind of programming (made a few simple games in that class too, like Pong, Tic Tac Toe, Cannon). Also, I am not much concerned about how difficult something is, because I usually get things pretty easily. I also don't want to spend any money, so free is the name of the game. I'm pretty sure I want to be a game programmer, and maybe it is wise for me to start preparing now? Yeah, so I basically want to know what I should be doing. Or do I even need to be preparing now? First off, I'm not sure what I should focus on learning... C/C++? I know they are industry standards, but aren't I just going to learn the langauge in college anyway? Okay, so if I should still be learning C/C++, then what compiler do I use? Does it matter in terms of how well I learn the language? Like, can I use the DOS one for all it matters? Or should I go with a windows compiler (if so, which one?) Would other languages help me at all down the line? Like I said, I'm already familiar with VB. Would programming absoultely anything be benificial enough to devote serious time to? Like, for example, if I use some kind of language that is completely it's own thing, like coding a game for BYOND or whatever, would that just be a waste of time? Or are there other languages that have good, free compilers that I should check out? I'm basically wondering if it is more useful to have game-making experience or C/C++ experience before starting college. And of course any other little tips/tidbits of info or advice would be awesome. Thanks so much!

Advertisement
Everyone will tell you different things. But the one thing you should definately NOT do, is just wait till you learn the language in college. You want to shine don't you? So learn it first, especially working on large projects without getting bogged down, because that is difficult to teach.

Language? Take your pick. C++, Java, Python, whatever. Once you get good enough the differences between languages seem less significant.

Some colleges/universities use Java instead of C++ these days, so don't take that for granted.

I'd suggest getting the educational version of Microsoft Visual Studio, and go for C++ or possibly C#. If the price for the educational is too steep, there are stripped down, free versions (and beta versions) available from Microsoft for download.

Quote:
Original post by hplus0603
Some colleges/universities use Java instead of C++ these days, so don't take that for granted.

I'd suggest getting the educational version of Microsoft Visual Studio, and go for C++ or possibly C#. If the price for the educational is too steep, there are stripped down, free versions (and beta versions) available from Microsoft for download.

My college teaches c# instead of C++, but you should consider learning these languages : Java, perl, assembly, c, c++,c# then some web languages like php

btw do any of those free versions have the resource feature that Visual Studio has? I had to stop learning the windows api because of that bs...

Thanks for your replies.

I went looking for a C++ compiler, but the free versions of Visual Studio were not for my OS (Windows ME). Are there any that I can use for Windows ME? If it's no trouble, can I have links to things I need to download? I really don't understand what libraries or resource features or things like that are. I only recently 'got' what a compiler was... I'll probably understand more once I get in there, but for now I'm kind of clueless.

Thanks!

Yeah I use ME too and I haven't found a way to use .NET so I'm afraid for C++ you're probably stuck with either Dev-C++ or Code::Blocks which both use the GCC compiler. Be aware though that is has alot of issues with DirectX9(8 is OK) and that any new API's Microsoft makes probably won't work with GCC.

Anyway I don't think it matters which language out of Java,C++ or C# you learn first. After you learn what programming is all about(which it seems you have) then learning a new language should be easy.

Dev-C++ is a great IDE that comes with a compiler. You might want to also check into python or java. Java is taught in a lot of beginner courses for computer science. Although, the beginner course at my college started with plain c.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!