• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Alex Red

GPU could hang CPU if already drawing same vertices coords...?

This topic is 4849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Guys... I have a strange behaviour both on nVidia and ATI... I am drawing 2 parts of a model...both share same VB vertices ( indexed calls )... but one part is transformed one way, the other another way... Could this create some sort of problems/delay on draw calls...? I mean: I draw just one part, little fps impact I draw just other part, little fps impact... I draw both 2... great fps Impact ( really great )...!!! I am using Indexed DrawPrimitie calls under DX7... Could the GPU be already working ( reading ) such Vertices and then stuck the CPU on draw call using same vertices...? tnx [R]ed

Advertisement
The difference is a state change. Try this:

create two vbs and two ibs
draw first one, change the transform, draw the other

The FPS cost should be about the same as your two-draws-of-one-buffer-with-changed-transform case.

Also, is this at full load, or is that ALL you're drawing? Frame rates over 100 fps are somewhat meaningless, because there's so many different things playing in that get amortized over all objects in a full game scene.

tnx Hplus...
Yea...a StateChange was the 1st I thought too...
but, a statechange costing about 300uSeconds is too much...!!!
there are many of them in the model...worst than this ( alpha and not ), and not so costing...
The model is just that...no other items... It's a bench for a new engine...

tnx

[R]ed

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!