• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Cochi

Hello everybody

This topic is 4846 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, i've been reading GameDev.net's forums, and now i've decided to join the forum :) I'm a complete newbie regarding programming, but i've been planning to learn by myself. I've established myself a schedule for self-teaching C/C++ from internet tutorials / books. I'm not sure if it's enough, but i've established 2 hours per day, from monday to friday (i'd like to know if it's ok / not enough / too much ). Anyways, before i get into the programming world i have a little question: Do you need to be really good at math to be a good programmer? I mean, i know that math is THE base, but i'm not sure if i need to know advanced math (But i always can learn, i'm ALWAYS willing to learn :D ). Another little question, this time not about myself, but for a friend of mine. He's developing a MMORPG, and before they enter the coding stage (Wich i think they never will :P ), they need to know if THIS is possible: a world with buildable terrains. You must build a tile/action (and takes some time per tile)... For instance, building a wall (single tile), takes about 30 sec~ 1 minute. And for each fundation there's a different map. Anyways i think this is all just a fantasy, but whatever :). Thanks for reading, any help is appriciated Yours, Cochi

Advertisement
Hi Cochi,

Welcome to the forum.
Regarding whether your studying commitment is enough or not, you are the one who can answer.
You need to set a specific goal and timeframe. And do lots of practice of what you learn! Write lots of codes!

If you would like to make 3D games, you have to be good at 3D math (linear algebra and trigonometry).

And meditate this wisdom from Nobuo Uematsu:
"You need a long-term goal: keep trying and make a small step every day. Don't give up! Keep going, and that will be the shortcut to success."

Hope that helps

The most important thing to guard against when learning something new is burnout. It may be easy to handle 2 hours a day for the first few weeks when your intensity is at it's highest but it may be harder to keep up the longer you go at it. Don't be afraid to re-evaluate your study schedule as time goes on.

There's nothing wrong with taking it down a notch if you can't keep up the 2 hours a day. Just try and keep going. Too often people sprint out at the beginning and then totally stop once they start getting bored. You see this a lot at gyms where people start working out after the new year and then are gone by March. It's better to keep going at a slower pace than to stop totally.

Good luck,

Hey,
first off, good luck learning and welcome to the forums!

Sencond, that should be fine but if you see that it gets to hard and stressful for you then just tone it down a notch. When I first started learning C++(About a month ago.)I did somewhere around 3 hours a day at max. It started to get harder as I got into harder stuff, so I toned it down some. Just see how it makes you feel. That is all I can say.

Good Luck! You are taking the first step of lots of steps.

Chad

Well, thanks for the advices!.
Yes, i know that it can get stressful, but i'll make my best effort, and if it's not enough, i'll cut the time a bit, untill i'm comfortable :)

Yours,
Cochi

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!