• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
busyme

Images in Win32 console with C++

This topic is 4851 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there a way to load your images (bmp, gif, etc..) onto Win32 console I am tired of using ASCII to make images. I am making this game its basically old fashioned 2D third person shooter. This is my assignment in College me my partner are almost done with the game, I want it to make images for heros and monsters, and constant background image. Then load it on Win32 Console and viola play the game.

Advertisement
Console windows by definition do not do graphics other than display characters. In order to do graphics under Win32 you need to create a non-console window.

There is a very cool ascii renderer here.

Worth taking a look at, it comes with full source.

So WIN32 WINDOWS ?

How in the world they done it in DOS GAMES. I want to be like MSDOS game.
Thank you for replying.

I've seen this done in Rogue, but it might not have been Win32 so much as DOS emulation under Win32. At any rate, check out the source code for WinRogue. It might point the way. You might also take a look at PD Curses.

thanks for all these cool links. I appreciate it!!!

Have anyone played starwars in dos or any other game similar in layout like that? I want to make an image in paint program and load it in dos or console.
That what i was looking for. The game coord is in array, so basically I want to load images as objects and store them in array. THen display it out on console screen in dos

In order to do DOS graphics, you need to have a DOS compiler. For example, Turbo C or Turbo C++ versions for DOS should be available for download from the Borland website. From there you can use interrupts to access graphics modes like the infamous mode 13, or if you use one of the Turbo C or Turbo C++ compilers, use the Borland BGI graphics interface.

However, doing either of those is generally harder than just downloading a library like SDL or Allegro and programming with normal windows.

Visual Studio .NET has no built-in capability to compile DOS applications; you'd need to find a different compiler to compile DOS applications.

so basically win32 console cannot load images. So either find different compiler or do it in API

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!