• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
olberg

Problem with DirectX 9 using MinGW

This topic is 4842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to use DirectX 9 with MinGW. It worked well until I started using DirectX utilities (libd3dx9.a). First it took long time to find that file (I had some DirectX package with only libd3dx9d.a). But even with that file I got this linker error: "undefined reference to `D3DXCreateTextureFromFileExA@56'" Is the file libd3dx9.a corrupted or what's the problem?

Advertisement
I checked the DirectX package's text files and it says that libd3dx9.a is only 1% done. Maybe that's why it doesn't work? Is there completely working DirectX 9 package for MinGW?

Just get m$'s latest directx 9 sdk.
Then get "reimp.exe"(a package in mingw.org)and use it to convert the ".lib"s to ".a"s
Finally, don't forget to use the includes from the sdk too

I tried that but for some reason reimping d3dx9.lib doesn't produce libd3dx9.a (there are some other lib files too that can't be reimped). I solved the problem using debug version (libd3dx9d.a) but it would be nice to know if someone had a working version of libd3dx9.a.

The Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK shouldn't really be used with MinGW due to legal reasons, so I'm told.

You'd be best getting the free VC++ 2005 Express Edition Beta 2 - it's made by Microsoft and is therefore the best choice for DirectX development. Get the Platform SDK and the DirectX SDK too, follow the instructions, and all should be well.

HTH,

ukdeveloper.

Did you tried it with the latest SDK?
The lib isn't a static library anymore so it should work, it works for me, I made a libd3dx9_27.a with reimp.

Theres no legal issues with using dxsdk with mingw on a microsoft operating system, unless your redistributing a modified dxsdk(like ".a"s).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!