• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
edwinnie

lots of tiny occlusion queries??

This topic is 4849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey guys, jus wondering wat happens if lots of tiny occlusion queries were issued? do they get queued behind the pipeline? is there a limit? thx!

Advertisement
from what i have read you shouldn t use occlusion querries too often for too less
rendered triangles because the query is blockingas far as i know and thus you slow down your application

hi Basiror!
thx fer replying!

i understand the query has a latency, but would the latency be lesser for smaller queries (meaning the number of fragments returned is much less, assume no discarding)?

thx!

that s a good question i think the api overhead for querrying is much bigger than large querries

all the gpu does is depthtesting and other fragment operations and then writing to the framebuffer + incrementing the occlusion counter

so the more querries you perform the less traingles can be submitted to the graphics card so larger querries should outperform lots of smaller querries

of course larger querries take longer to process, you need to balance it to get the best performance but in general try to use as less querries as possible

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!