• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Vladk10000

Game Programming All in One book

This topic is 4847 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I found a book that I might be interested in called Game Programming All in One by Bruno Miguel Teixeira de Sousa and I was just wondering if anyone here has that book. From what I understand it's a C++/Windows/DirectX book and I was just wondering if it's any good and if it's easy to understand, because I know there are some books that are hard to understand. Any comments on the book would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Don't get that book.

That's what I got a long time ago and, well, it's not not any good. I wouldn't call it the "worst book ever written" like that review did, but it's definately bad.

I would recommend a book that you should get, but unfortunately I'm not familiar with any of the new beginner's books. But from the looks of it, Beginning C++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson seems like a much better choice though.

Quote:
Original post by nilkn
Don't get that book.

That's what I got a long time ago and, well, it's not not any good. I wouldn't call it the "worst book ever written" like that review did, but it's definately bad.

I would recommend a book that you should get, but unfortunately I'm not familiar with any of the new beginner's books. But from the looks of it, Beginning C++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson seems like a much better choice though.

I wouldn't recommend. Alot of the source code on the cd didn't compile and had many errors. Furthermore the book was trying to emcompass to much information, with little detail.

Beginning c++ game programming is a good one. If you are just starting you might not think that the console apps are worth making but they are.

Quote:
Original post by TacomaBlack
I wouldn't recommend. Alot of the source code on the cd didn't compile and had many errors.

But what better way to improve your C++ skills than by getting the code to compile? Taught me a bit... [wink]

For the most part avoid books that try to cover a huge field like game development (this also goes for programming books with titles like Teach Yourself ___ in __ Days, or ___ For Dummies). You're probably going to be better off with books that focus on a particular area (C++, AI, OpenGL, etc).

However, if you insist on getting an All in One book, Game Coding Complete, 2nd Ed. by Mike McShaffry seems to have fairly good reviews.

If you're already comfortable enough with game dev to make something like tetris or pong, but don't know where to go next, you might want to take a look at Core Techniques & Algorithms in Game Programming by Daniel Sanchez-Crespo. It's fairly high level, but it gives a good overview of things you should be aware of in game development.

Yeah I got that book too and it try's to cover way way too much stuff. It's so bad that the 2nd edition was written by a totally different author although some of the stuff by ron penton was kept in the 2nd edition.
oh and good luck trying to get the code to compile and run without crashing!

If you really have never programmed before then the 'For Dummies' books might be helpful. They are very hold your hand and might be a little slow for you, but you will definatly understand everything.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!