[.net] asp.net submitted values

Started by
4 comments, last by ernow 18 years, 8 months ago
Where can I find a discussion of the security of asp.net web forms? Can i use the values from controls outright into db calls and such? Ie. A radio button list, with an incrementing number value for each item in the group When I reference RadioList1.Text, can i be sure it will be only an option that was available for the user? (Available discludes hidden controls as well) So if the only options they had held values 1 - 3, and they craft back a 4, it will spit in their face? or will asp.net blindly grab (doubting). I would like to know more about this handling. thx
Advertisement
First off, I'm not a security expert and don't have any professional experience with ASP.NET security, so help would be appreciated :)

MSDN has a section titled ASP.NET Web Application Security, although they discuss stuff like authentication and the security architecture of ASP.NET. I have the feeling you're more interested in security on the code level. CodeProject also has an ASP.NET security section.

Regarding using user-input in database calls, you basically can't trust it due to the possibility of SQL injection. The way I've protected myself in the past is by using parameterized queries:

SqlConnection connection;string userProvidedData;SqlCommand command = new SqlCommand("select * from Hotels where Name like @hotelname", connection);command.Parameters.Add("@hotelname", userProvidedData);

The SQL injection article lists some other ways to protect against it. Oh and regarding your radio button question, I do not know. Of course, it doesn't hurt to perform your own validation as well.

No, you should never trust input from the user.
ALWAYS validate.

The Validation controls can help a lot. By binding these to input controls you can force a check on types, ranges, patterns (regex) and custom validation.

A common mistake is to forget to check the validity of a page server side. These validation controls have client side and server side check and youshould always do the server side check because the client's browser might have &#106avascript disabled (no checking there). The way to do this is easy: in the Page.Load eventhandler check whether the request is a postback and then validate the page like this:
if(this.IsPostback){  if(this.IsValid)  {    ...  }  else  {    errormessages  }}

To prevent SQL injection always use stored procedures or Command objects.
To prevent script insertion always Html encode user entered strings that are displayed on HTML pages.

Read these

Cheers
I appreciate your comments, however this is not quite the answer I am looking for.

I am aware of the sql injection as well as the validation controls, asp.net has means of combating these both - but i am interested in the simple case of... lets use my radio button example again.

I have a RadioButtonList I'll call rbl, and I'll fill "testing"=>1, "this"=>2, "option"=>3 for the text/value pairs.
I'll also add a button for action.

Button_onClick(~,~) {
Response write rbl.Text
}

Is there ever a time that rbl.Text could be 4 or 0 or "hhahFgT!" by a handcrafted send, outside of my presented options and values?

It just seems bizzare to me that you would throw in a validator which would only fire for someone f'in with a server. Default checks for these cases seem like something that should be built in.

I understand that for things like a textbox, or currency.. validate.
I want an email address, validate.

But for values which have been defined only allowing a user to select one, seems that default checks should be inplace by asp - so are they(?) is my question.
Appreciate the feedback thus far. ^sf.
Well it just depends on where that textvalue came from.
If these values are retrieved on the serverside you have full control.
However if there is a submit from the page, a client could send anything. A realy good cracker might even change the viewstate...

If you are worried about that, validate on the server and HTML encode all.

Cheers
BTW: EnableViewStateMAC set to true hashes (and thus secures) the viewstate.

Cheers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement