• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Doom-Box

Moving?

This topic is 4848 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

O.K. Im very new to programming I have only done a few, but I was wondering. how long does it take usually before you can make like a player move a 2d charachter? I was just wondering so I could sort of make a little count down type of thing. Untill I was good enough to do it.

Advertisement
It varies greatly from person to person. Some people pick up programming easier, some people have more time per day to put in, and it also depends on what you learn before you decide to try tackling graphics.

It could be as short a time as a few hours, or it could be as long as several months. I find that a lot of the people who turn out to be good programmers have a good balance of spending a month or so working in console mode (text-based programs) then moving on to some basic 2d programming, but as I've said, it's different for everyone.

Before moving on to 2d graphics when learning C++, I learned the following in the console:
-Very basic program structure (Hello World)
-Basic input (Hello User)
-Basic Operations and Program Flow Control (Text-based calculator, Guess My Number)
-Functions, Structures, etc. (Console Mode Tic-Tac-Toe)
-Classes (A basic text-adventure)

Learning those and moving on to 2d took me personally less than a week, but I'd already learned in a few other languages, so you might take a little longer with that, and there may be other things you'll want to learn before attempting to work with graphics. I wouldn't make a countdown, but rather just keep working at it - perhaps set aside a certain minimum amount of time each day for it if you want to make sure you keep yourself on track.

Hope that's of some help to you. [smile]

that depends on so many things, it's impossible to say. in Visual Basic, it may take like a night with access to the right knowledge. I got a Zelda type system up in Java in my first week of Java. Persistence is the key to programming (like most skills in life), so don't make a countdown, just sit down and work at it till it happens. If you get stuck come here and ask for help.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!