• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TheNobleOne

A little hand rendered demo (your opinion please)

This topic is 4847 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok don't comment on the lopsidedness(is this really a word lol). I am working on a 2D Isometric engine and I never did Isometrics before so I decided to use the windowing framework of my engine and hand code a sample with primitives. Yes I am insane lol. Grantid this is small but the coords on the screen drove me crazy because I did not use any coord translations or anything lol. And yes my wall is lopsided but hey I am not perfect and i did not feel like taking the coords to the hundreths place lol. Here is a screenshot. Oh and this photo host only takes jpeg and it just so happens that this screenshot is not very pritty by jpeg even with 100% quality. <EDIT>ok used different host the screen shot is in my next post</EDIT> [Edited by - TheNobleOne on August 8, 2005 5:49:29 AM]

Advertisement
Yes, lop-sided is a word. If you used proper values for the depth axis it should be possible to make your code take an array of tiles and calculate the points which makes up the surfaces of the tiles, and then draw them (to make it less hard-coded).

It looks a bit like there's a small space between the yellow and blue quads but I'm not sure if I was supposed to comment on that [grin]

ImageShack takes both JPEG and GIF, BMP, PNG and TIFF image formats.

Here is a better looking screenshot this time. What I really am looking for is comments on if I am going in the right direction. I never did isometrics before so I am trying to go from memory on what they look like from playing games. I think it looks isometric but I would like some other opinions on that.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Quote:
Original post by TheNobleOne
Here is a better looking screenshot this time. What I really am looking for is comments on if I am going in the right direction. I never did isometrics before so I am trying to go from memory on what they look like from playing games. I think it looks isometric but I would like some other opinions on that.

It's almost right, I think, but the magenta bit that I presume is meant to be higher than the four coloured groud plane seems to not to be parallel with the ground (I'm not sure if that's intentional or not).

Maybe you could try drawing something a bit more familiasr to people, like a house or a chair, and then get their opinion? That multicoloured demo is a bit.. esoteric for a proper opinion.

Looks OK but I don't know what you're going for.
If it's real 2d (pixel) ISO then this is pretty good...
http://rhysd.syntesis.org/tutorial/

this demo was done using OpenGL primitives. I did not get to the real rendering portion of my engine yet because I am trying to get a feel for how isometric stuff is drawn. As for the megenta yes it should be parralell to the ground but when I got to that part my head was spinning from trying to come up with coords that worked for the darn thing lol.

Personally I think for a good isometric view you'd want the tiles to be tilted a bit more, but that's pretty close. This article talks about different types of projection and the angles involved a bit, maybe you could take a look at it for some ideas.

Thank you that was actually a very good article. It gives me a base to better research off of so I can position the camera looking at the axies in a apropriate mannor.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!