• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
yuppies

Large terrains HOW?

This topic is 4837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

how to implement large terrains? is it using large hieghtmap images? or more than one 1 heightmap images loaded at a time? what are the other options?

Advertisement
There are a few way to manage large terrains. Obviously, there is the problem of storing and loading them. Most engines will break up a map into pieces and load them in the background. Some may use infinite terrains by using a mathematical function to describe the terrain.

As for actually rendering the large amounts of terrain, there are quite a number of techniques. The most common is probably LOD, which will use less detailed patches for areas that are more distant. Some other ways are to use occlusion culling to remove triangles behind other things (hills, buildings, etc.) and fog, so you can fade out the very far off tris...

There are probably thousands of way to achieve this, but the basucs are similar. Split up the map data, and render as few triangles as possible with minimal quality loss.

I've managed to create infinite terrain maps by generating it with Perlin Noise and "scrolling" it through memory as the user moves through it. I don't see much use in storing heightmaps since you can procedurally create them fairly easily.

Quote:
Original post by coderx75
I've managed to create infinite terrain maps by generating it with Perlin Noise and "scrolling" it through memory as the user moves through it. I don't see much use in storing heightmaps since you can procedurally create them fairly easily.

Unless you want a complex, custom design that cannot be created through perlin noise or any other algorithm...

complex is almost definitely not the right word to use in this case - as procedural methods can have huge amounts of complexity

I would argue that THE reason you would use non-procedural geometry would be if you wanted to sculpt the terrain to a specific look

Of course, nothing states that the two methods (procedural and sculpted) couldnt coexist - taking advantage of the benefits of both

Guest Anonymous Poster
If you want to play around with perlin noise to see what it can do, check out this program: http://larsole.com/PerlinTool (free of course).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!