• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Crysillion

Some Isometric MMORPG idea I had kinda like FFT

This topic is 4845 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

[ NOTE: This isn't a game I'm making, only discussing. You may use anything in this post for your game creation. If this topic does not belong on this forum, please move it. Sorry for any inconvenience. ] Okay. I had this idea for a MMORPG a long time ago, I've finally decided to bring it into the light. Some of you may know of a game for the Playstation console called.. "Final Fantasy Tactics" [ FFT for short ] made by a company called Squaresoft ( Now known as Square-Enix ) For those of you who have played such a title, and disliked the game. I suggest you to not read any further; However. If you liked it, or rather haven't played it at all. Please do continue reading. I thought about how FFT could be online, and if it was, how much more better it'd be. Of course, I can't just list a bunch of things stolen from the game, and then expect to throw it online without getting sued for copyrighting. So I thought of how a game LIKE FFT could be made, but not it precisely. I'll now attempt to explain my game idea as best as I can. This Project ( I'll call it FFTO, but note: The actual game should NOT be called this, it's just to save me time on typing. Lol... ), FFTO, would work something like this.. The game would be Isometric, thats right; I'm not talking full 3D like Final Fantasy XI or Everquest Online are. I'm talking something more simple. A mix of 2D and 3D. The over-all mapping of the game would consist of multiple small maps connected to one another. The player would start on a small piece of map ( Perhaps the size to fit their screen ) once venturing off-screen of the current map, the player would be transitioned to another piece of the map. Basically the camera would never scroll along with the characters position, but remain still and look directly ontop of the current map to see everything on it. So basically; instead of one huge gigantic map, it would be split up into multiple pieces of the map. ( Like so: http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?image=example12yq.jpg ) So thats the easy part, how the map would be set up. Some of you will be wondering how this game will be like FFT. Basically, if you've played FFT, you'd know how battling works. Characters are taken to a battle map corresponding to the map they were in when they got into the battle. But how would this be implemented into an ONLINE game? Simple. Monsters will be visible on the map, however; The player would not be able to just run by, attack the monster, and go. Instead; Once the player clicks on the monster, he would approach it, and enter battle. The player would be taken to a seperate battle map corresponding to the map they were just in. Take this for example, lets look back on that shitty .JPG of a map, a character, and a monster. ( Rofl, and yes; I know. These aren't meant to look good, they're only meant to get a point across, please don't criticize on my crappy MSPaint 'art', they get the job done on helping me explain all this ) ( http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?image=example27mx.jpg] EDIT: Argh. I just noticed this link is broken! Sorry. Luckily it's not really important anyway... =/ ) Okay... Now lets pretend that the stick figure is you, the character. That blue and orange...thing ( I don't know what it is ) is the monster. You want to fight the monster, so you click on it. Upon clicking on it, your character will run towards it ( Of course ), upon reaching it, a message will pop up informing you that you have been taken into battle! The current map you're on now will vanish, and you will be taken to a seperate map ( One where, only you and the monster(s) are, should anyone choose to join the battle you're in, they will also appear. More on this later ) [ http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?image=example38ly.jpg ] On this map, the player will first start by setting his starting position. The monsters will randomly choose theirs. The red tiles are the monsters positionable places, the blue tiles are yours. If a tile is lit up, that means it has been selected for a position already, as you could've guessed. Up to a total of 7 other players can join you in your fight. However, they can only join whilst in the Set Position step of the battle. When the battle begins, no player may join. Should a player join a fight that you don't want him/her in, you can kick him/her out. Simple, right? So now you hit Ready, and the battle commences. It'd look roughly something like this ( http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?image=example43ie.jpg ) Now, about this screen. There is... To the top-left: I'm sure you noticed this first. This is how it will be determined who's turn it is, everytime it's someone elses turn, a screen will pop up in the top-left, it will state the players name, level, and class, as well as a portrait of the character ( Automatically set when class is chosen ). The screen will vanish after a few seconds, that way it won't be in your way. Next, you may have noticed the "Buttons" on the bottom-left. Attack: Basically, do a psyichal attack on the opponent. Nothing special. Defend: Hold your ground, not the best of things to do but will ensure that the player takes less damage for one turn. Item: Use an item. Chrono: This is basically short for Chronomancy, an exclusive ability Time Mage's get ( I'm making this up as I go, remember: It's all only examples ) by selecting this, a list of abilities that you have will come up for you to choose. Should you be a different class then a Time Mage, this will not be called Chrono, rather whatever is fitting to the class you chose. Special: Lol I don't know... Just something to fill up space with. Move: Move, of course! To the bottom-mid is your characters current statistics. I'll explain each one individually.. HP: Your health points, should these reach 0, you can consider yourself dead. But, everyone who plays RPG's knows this. MP: Your mana points, this is what is consumed should you use any spell that requires MP to use. CT: Count Timer. Basically, this will start at 60 seconds, and will begin to go down. Should it reach 0 seconds, it'll automatically skip your turn ( It won't void anything you've done before this on that turn though ) this will be to prevent people from doing something stupid and going AFK in battle. The only downside is that if your computer is lagging badly, you'll probably get your turn skipped when you were TRYING to move, attack, and etc... To the bottom right is a big empty space, it also states your player name, level, class, and how much XP you got in percentage. Should your XP reach 100%, you will level up. This big empty space is filled when you select something like Item or Chrono. Should you select Item, that empty space will open up a small screen showing what items you can use. Should you select Chrono, it will open up a list of what spells you can use. But OK, in this battle, you're really too far from your opponent to do anything. By simply selecting move, something like this would come up: ( http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?image=example59wj.jpg ) The dark purple squares represent places you can walk, of course, with the proper equipment and special stuff your character may get, the range of moving could increase for your character, but thats a different story. Should you select a place to walk to, it will be lit up with lighter colored purple squares, your character will move to the selected block, then you will be able to act. Each turn consists of being able to do two things. Move, and/or Act. Each thing can only be done ONCE per turn. So now you've moved, now you can act. Lets see what Chrono is all about.... [ http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?image=example66aj.jpg ] Upon clicking it, you realize you only have 3 spells so far. Not too bad, deciding to attack the enemy, you select Demi. The teal tiles represent where you can cast the spell. The white tile represents where you're going to use the spell ( Lets just say you clicked there to use it there ), the cyan color represents how big the spell is, the weird purplish color ( Thats underneath the monster ) represents that something is going to be hit. Theres only one purplish tile here, which means only one opponent will be geting hit by the spell. Certain spells will be Area-of-effect ( Like Demi is, as I showed ) the area of effect could be big or small, just getting that across. Now, do you see where this is going so far? After casting the spell, that'd be considered an "Act", in which case your turn will automatically end. It will now be the next persons turn ( Depends on their Speed, more on that later ) in which in this scenario - It would be your opponent, the monster. Now the monster will move should it want to, and attack should it want to. Going back onto your turn. Simple enough right? Upon winning the fight, you will be taken out of the battle map, and back to where you were. Should you lose, however, you will be taken back to your last save point ( More on this later ) Now, lets take a step back. Remember how I said that people can join your fight? But how could they? Upon clicking a monster, you get taken to an entirely different map specifically for the fight. Simple. Upon clicking the monster, your sprite on the world map will be replaced with a sword ( or something ) indicating you're in a fight, players who click the sword will join you in your fight. Again, you can of course kick players out. Upon selecting your position and hitting ready, you will be taken into the fight ,and the sword will disappear. Now, battles aren't just taking turns. Depending on your Speed, you might get to go sooner then others, or sometimes even twice before the opponent gets to have his turn. I'm having trouble explaining this now, I've got through the basics. If theres anything I left out, please let me know. Unfortuneately, I have nobody to help me make this project a reality, and I also don't have any experience of my own. However; If anyone would be interested in such a project, that would be nice. Getting players into this game wouldn't be too difficult. Most gamers are seeking a new type of MMORPG, something different. This is my answer, though some may hate it, I'm almost 100% alot of people would love it. Please, even just comments would be nice. What do you think? Anything to add? Any questions? I'm not going to do something foolish, hop up and say "LOL, LETS GET THIS PROJECT STAAARRTTEEDDD" when I have no coding/modelling experience what-so-ever. Actually, I guess I'm kinda hoping for a team to run by, find the idea interesting, and bring it to life. -shrugs- I do understand that should someone really take interest in this idea, I could be the one needing to make a big-ass design document. I'm willing to do this, but not if nobodies interested. So..Yay. I know I come off pretty unprofessionally, but all this is is just an idea, as I said. The images I listed above were quick-drafts made in MSPaint to kinda show people what I'm talking about, hopefully to get them understand all the more.

Advertisement
I was looking into making some networking tech demos with possibley a small scale mmo just for fun and experiance. I really wanted to do something with strategy instead of the standard way mmo battles are layed out and this looks to be a good idea for a battle system (I have played tatics and enjoyed it). The only thing is this is only one piece of the huge puzzle you have to tackle idea wise for an mmo.
What do you do besides fighting? Are thier towns? quests? can you fight other players? etc, etc. I say you should think out some more details of the game, unless of course you just want to run from battle to battle.
Anyways thanks for the idea, I might possibley use it for one of my demos.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!