• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dookie

Vertex indexing (increasing the MAX_ limit)

This topic is 4852 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys. I think I've hit the max limit for indexed vertices in my game, because whenever I increase the number of game objects (indexed quads) from my current point, the game crashes. The problem is, this limit is FAR fewer than the actual limit of my video card. I've heard that I can increase that limit, but I don't know how (something about increasing the CAPS?). BTW, this only happens when I render using a software buffer. How do I increase the indexed vertex count limit? Thanks in advance for the help, I really appreciate it!

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
You could try to split up the rendering operation into multiple batches. Another solution would be to look into 32 bit indices, although they come with a performance cost and increased memory requirements.

How many indices are you trying to render? If you are going over 65,536 in 16-bit mode, then yes, you will have problems. Like the AP posted, you may need to increase to 32-bit indices, if your card supports it. It is becoming more and more common, so the performance costs are decreasing.

Also, you can always use two sets of buffers. Render the first pair, then the second pair.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!