Vertex indexing (increasing the MAX_ limit)

Started by
2 comments, last by sirob 18 years, 8 months ago
Hey guys. I think I've hit the max limit for indexed vertices in my game, because whenever I increase the number of game objects (indexed quads) from my current point, the game crashes. The problem is, this limit is FAR fewer than the actual limit of my video card. I've heard that I can increase that limit, but I don't know how (something about increasing the CAPS?). BTW, this only happens when I render using a software buffer. How do I increase the indexed vertex count limit? Thanks in advance for the help, I really appreciate it!
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw"
Advertisement
You could try to split up the rendering operation into multiple batches. Another solution would be to look into 32 bit indices, although they come with a performance cost and increased memory requirements.
How many indices are you trying to render? If you are going over 65,536 in 16-bit mode, then yes, you will have problems. Like the AP posted, you may need to increase to 32-bit indices, if your card supports it. It is becoming more and more common, so the performance costs are decreasing.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Also, you can always use two sets of buffers. Render the first pair, then the second pair.
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement