• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Snowy

How is this done? 3/4 Perspective in RPGs

This topic is 4844 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How do you implement a 3/4 perspective for a rpg game? With what is it done? To give an example...FinalFantasy 7/8 and mostly other types of those games. I want to find out what you call it, and how do they keep the character from walking into buildings. Is it a 2d tilemap that looks 3d? or could it be something else? If you understand what i mean, thank you very much. I tried to search for it, but i cannot search for something if i don't know the name of the method. hehe. Thanx all! Snows

Advertisement
Its called "3D in 2D" by most people. From what I understand about it, you have a 2D image and a 3D model, which you use for depth and such. If you buy Jim Adams Programming RPGs with DirectX (the first one, I don't know if the second one says anything about it), you can learn how to do a simple example.

The background image is pre-rendered, the character is a 3D model. For collision detection, you use an empty mesh that does not get rendered. Or so I'm told...

Thanx for the replys guys. I'm sick of 2d and not yet ready for full edge 3d. So i'll try a few test proggies and see where i can go from there.

Snows

Quote:
Original post by kelcharge
The background image is pre-rendered, the character is a 3D model. For collision detection, you use an empty mesh that does not get rendered. Or so I'm told...

Isnt it usually called a 'Navmesh' ???

Its a mesh (often simpler than the mesh defining the viewable floor)
and a fairly simple axial line intersect triangle method is used to detect
if you go off the 'Navmesh'. Somewhere I heard that some of the big game companies had tools to automaticly build Navmesh from the level mesh (to cut down the work and $$$ )

I own the programming rpg book with directx. What he does is have 2 models. one being the 3d character, the other being the level mesh. he draws the 2d image (takeing up the whole screen) then moves the character and checks for collision with the floor mesh.

~guyaton

hmm.... never done anything like that before, but I´ll try to give in my 2 cents:
to make the rendering of the 3D characters easier, you could (should?) render the navmesh to the z-buffer and let the z-buffer do the visibility check for you?

Thank you for the replies! I dunno why i never thought of that before... now it sounds very easy to do. I mean, hell.. how simple can you get? :-P

Cheers
Snows

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!