• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
PERSIS

Can I start with C# ?

This topic is 4849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello . Is it suitable to start game programming with C# ? I am completely novice to C language . but experienced with pascal and basic . I have two books about C# : C# and Game programming - a begginers guide 2nd edition / Salvatore A. Bouno /akpeters publication . and second : Microsoft C# Game Programming For The Absolute Beginner / Andy Haris / Premier Press also I have a C++ book ( C++ Primer that introduced in GD ) . Whitch is the best for starting ? :)

Advertisement
Sure C# is fine. Professionals use C++ mainly because it gives you absolute control over everything (especially memory).

After you learn C# learning C++ isn't very much harder but it is a very different philosophies to the languages.

Yes you can it is very viable. With care C# can compete with C++ in frames per second speed. Not only this but as you learn C# you will discover a nice little feature that should only be used when absolutly neccesary. C# has unsafe code regions so you can use pointers to manage memory.

Actually, you can start with whatever you want if you REALLY put your mind to it. I know, C++ is hard, but it's a great feeling when you make your first game, even if it's a console game. Learn whatever you think that you will be comfortable with.

C# would be a good language to start with. Just pick up a good book or 2 and read some online tutorials while you work. Also start with some console programs before you even think about going into graphics.

Thank you all ...

I hesitated because the C++ is more rooty in game programming and related resources are more accesible than C#.Is it correct ? It appears that I should learn both.

Regards :)

C++ is the industry standard mainly because companies have so much already invested in it in terms of both code and experience. A switch for most of them could prove very costly.

But there's really nothing about C# that could prevent anyone from creating a AAA game. Some people will complain about the speed of C# compared to that of C++, but in reality the development time you save can be used to optimize your game such that it will run much faster than you could get a C++ version to run in the same amount of time.

And yes, there are more resources for C++ than C#, though I've never found this to be an issue. Nearly all of the C++ resources talk about concepts that can be directly applied in C#, even if you can't copy/paste the code.

There are many resources out there for C# now you just have to look. There is a free IDE out there called SharpDevelop which is very very nice. Also, Microsoft will be releasing a nice IDE in November for the new 2.0 framework. The new IDE is a thing they call Express products. They will only cost $50. You still get full featured language and distrobution, however they slimed down the ide so it is easy to use for Hobbyist and student developers.

On another note learn C# before C++. It will make the transition to C++ a lot less traumatic and frusterating. :P

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!