• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
FinalShot

SDL? What is it?

This topic is 4844 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can anyone please give me a breif summary on what SDL is and what it does? Sorry but I have to out for a few hours, Thanks, Final

Advertisement
SDL, or simple direct media layer, is a very basic windowing library. In other words, you can create windows and build graphics applications on top of it. It is easier and more functional than similar libraries such as GLUT. It was used to port the latest Unreal Tournament to linux. And if it's powerful enough for Unreal Tournament, it's powerful enough for me :).

Not only can SDL create windows to build graphical applications it is also a 2D graphics library as well. What made it so nice for unreal tourny port was because SDL has built in support for OpenGL Rendering Contexts. However, most people use SDL for 2D games. Or sometimes for cross platform graphics engines to supply windowing to a more powerful api like OpenGL.

SDL also has support for other features such as font manipulation (SDL_Font) and networking (SDL_Net)....marvellous..:)

There are lots more so check it out. Even if you use OpenGL for rendering, you can use SDL for networking, user input (keyboard and mouse) etc.

It's very powerful but very simple.

Good luck.

Gee, you guys are really clueless

Quote:

From the SDL page

Simple DirectMedia Layer is a cross-platform multimedia library designed to provide low level access to audio, keyboard, mouse, joystick, 3D hardware via OpenGL, and 2D video framebuffer. It is used by MPEG playback software, emulators, and many popular games, including the award winning Linux port of "Civilization: Call To Power."

Simple DirectMedia Layer supports Linux, Windows, BeOS, MacOS Classic, MacOS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, BSD/OS, Solaris, IRIX, and QNX. There is also code, but no official support, for Windows CE, AmigaOS, Dreamcast, Atari, NetBSD, AIX, OSF/Tru64, RISC OS, and SymbianOS.

SDL is written in C, but works with C++ natively, and has bindings to several other languages, including Ada, Eiffel, Java, Lua, ML, Perl, PHP, Pike, Python, and Ruby.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!