Wacom tablet(Update: Now with Ashley Judd!!)

Started by
14 comments, last by Wolfmanyoda 18 years, 8 months ago
I used to be a pretty good artist, I even had some paying jobs, but I just stopped drawing and painting a few years ago and don't know why. So I'm going to get back into that. I dug up this picture that I did about 10 years ago with just colored pencils: Not my character, it was from a comic book cover I looked at. Anyway, I used to spend a LOT of money on canvas, paint, brushes, pencils, ink... and all of that stuff. So I figured that I'd just drop a load on two items and be happy: Painter 9 and a Wacom tablet. Actually wasn't too bad with academic discounts. I have to admit, using the tablet will take a lot of practice. Right now there is no way I could reproduce the image above digitally, but I'm working on it. Anyone else made the transistion successfully? Any tips other than practice my ass off? [Edited by - Wolfmanyoda on August 11, 2005 12:00:04 AM]
Advertisement
If you're just getting back into it, Painter's UI may do more damage than good. You might want to start with a software that lets you concentrate more on the art than the interface like Alias Sketchbook Pro. There's a 15-day trial download.

I bought painter 5 a long time ago and liked it, I just didn't have the tablet then.
So far I'm very happy with Painter 9 and I've got it set up the way I want.
It's just trying to get used to the stylus that's hard. I'm used to looking at what I'm drawing and looking up at the sceen while my hands are on the table is just weird.
This thing rocks!
I'm getting the hang of it quicker than I thought.
I know it's not perfect, but it's my first painting in like 4 years.

Ashley Judd
That's pretty amazing! It'd be great to see that finished!
Are you using oils ?
I did this the first day I bought my tablet. (like 3 weeks ago)

I use painter IX, it's great.it feels a little weird drawing using a tablet though. I usually put a piece of paper on the tablet and draw on top of that, it feels much more natural (I think it's the sound of the pencil against paper).
videodragon20032003:
Thanks. I'd like to see it finished too, but I have a big cert exam coming up next Tuesday so I'm putting everything else on the shelf so I can study.
That's the plan at least...

datxcod:
Yeah, oils.

I haven't tried putting paper over the tablet. Do you just tape it on to keep it still?
Hmmm...I don't know if I could put tape on my baby, at least not yet. Give me a year or so and it will probably have stickers all over it [grin]

I'm thinking Charlize Theron next...
Any other hot chicks you guys want me to do?

EDIT: Finished
Awesome.

(It looks like her cheek on the far side might be a little too far extruded from the rest of the face, but maybe that's just me)
Wow...that's an amazing graphic ("Ashley Judd" portrait).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement