• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
segt

ODE Problems

This topic is 4847 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

EDIT: SOLVED THIS PROBLEM, LOOK TO 4th POST NOW. Hi, My implementation of ODE works with moving bodies/geoms around. At the moment I have a box dropping towards a plane that I created as a trimesh. When the box reaches the plane, ODE correctly generates a contact point. I then handle this by using dJointCreateContact, inserting the contact into my world's contactgroup. At this point everything was working, but the box would pass right through the plane. I found some source of an ODE implementation and saw the use of dJointAttach to then attach the contact joint to each body. After using this, when I call the worldstep (or worldquickstep), ODE crashes. My box has a body and geom where as the tri mesh is just the geom. Edit: I just tried it with an actual plane instead of a tri-mesh with the same result, WorldStep still crashes. [Edited by - segt on August 8, 2005 8:35:13 PM]

Advertisement
Okay, I made a really really elementary mistake :(. I wasn't initializing the bodyid of the trimesh to 0. Fixed my crash, but now the box is still dropping straight through the trimesh instead of colliding.

Alright, got some collision going. I had to increase the max number of contact points for it to work.

I'm not sure if I should even bother posting anymore about this since I seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong after a little while :)

Anyhow, I need some input on the surface parameters for objects to generate realistic collision reactions. I'm still working with the box and trimesh plane for now. After a contact is identified, I pass the surface struct and the objects to a post collision function. There, I would theoretically take the surface parameters from each object and combine them somehow (I've seen people average the numbers or run them through a small algorithm) and then send the resulting surface info back and create a contact joint.

It seems however, that no matter what I set the surface info to be, the collision reaction is the same. For instance, setting the friction coefficient to infinity and the bounce to 0 should cause the box to pretty much stop dead on the surface. Instead, the box bounces a bit and slides a ways to one side before falling off the surface.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!