GLSL Multitexturing problems...

Started by
1 comment, last by Richy2k 18 years, 8 months ago
I decided to get off my backside and have a play about with GLSL today...started to enjoy playing about and making models wobble about using the vertex shader, and colours go funky with a fragment shader, but i'm having a hell of a lot of trouble trying to write a shader that will do texture splatting for me. If you have texturing enabled, BUT in a fragment shader you set gl_FragColor to any specific colour shouldn't the output be that colour? I decided to try this as no matter what my fragment shader said the output was the same, the vertex shader, however, affected what I was doing. Both shaders can be made to do things interesting until I introduce textures. I'll post some code and a screen shot to illustrate my problems, with the fragment shader I'm using shouldn't the output be ALL red? Also, the code i'm using to render has been hacked about, ill post it without sections i've commented out. Vertex Shader

void main(void)
{
	gl_TexCoord[0] = gl_MultiTexCoord0;
	gl_TexCoord[1] = gl_MultiTexCoord1;
	gl_Position = gl_ModelViewProjectionMatrix * gl_Vertex; 
}

Fragment Shader

void main (void)
{
   vec4 texval1 = texture2D(0, vec2(gl_TexCoord[0]));
   vec4 texval2 = texture2D(1, vec2(gl_TexCoord[1]));

gl_FragColor = vec4(1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.5); //0.5*(texval1+texval2);
}

Code which renders (removed commented out stuff)

void cTerrainRenderer::Render()

{

glUseProgramObjectARB(m_ShaderProgram);

// Setup the render state for 2D Texturing

// and Blending

glEnable(GL_BLEND);

glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);

glEnable(GL_COLOR_MATERIAL);

// Get the vertex, normal and texture arrays ready

glEnableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);

glEnableClientState(GL_NORMAL_ARRAY);

// Pass in pointers for GL to use

glVertexPointer(3, GL_FLOAT, 0, m_pTerrainData->m_pVertexArray);

glNormalPointer(GL_FLOAT, 0, m_pTerrainData->m_pNormalArray);

// First loop through the layers

int l_iLayer = 3;

//for (int l_iLayer = 0; l_iLayer < m_pTerrainData->m_NumLayers; ++l_iLayer)

{

// Alpha Channel on Texture Unit 0

glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB);

glClientActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB);

// Bind the texture

m_pRenderer->m_pTextureManager->BindTexture(m_pTerrainData->m_pTextureLayers[l_iLayer+1].m_DiffuseMap);

glTexEnvf (GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_COMBINE_EXT);

glTexEnvf (GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_COMBINE_RGB_EXT, GL_REPLACE);

// Give it some texture coordinates

glEnableClientState(GL_TEXTURE_COORD_ARRAY);

glTexCoordPointer(2, GL_FLOAT, 0, m_pTerrainData->m_pTextureArray);

// Diffuse Map on Texture Unit 1

glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE1_ARB);

glClientActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE1_ARB);

// Bind Texture

m_pRenderer->m_pTextureManager->BindTexture(m_pTerrainData->m_pTextureLayers[l_iLayer].m_DiffuseMap);

glTexEnvf (GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_COMBINE_EXT);

glTexEnvf (GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_COMBINE_RGB_EXT, GL_INCR);

// Give it some texture coordinates

glEnableClientState(GL_TEXTURE_COORD_ARRAY);

glTexCoordPointer(2, GL_FLOAT, 0, m_pTerrainData->m_pTextureArray);

// Enter the Texture Matrix Mode :-D

glMatrixMode(GL_TEXTURE);

glPushMatrix();

// Translate the texture

glRotatef(m_pTerrainData->m_pTextureLayers[l_iLayer].m_Angle, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f);

glScalef(m_pTerrainData->m_pTextureLayers[l_iLayer].m_Scale.X, m_pTerrainData->m_pTextureLayers[l_iLayer].m_Scale.Y, 0.0f);

// Loop through the fragment list

for (int l_iFragment = 0; l_iFragment < m_pTerrainData->m_NumFragments; ++l_iFragment)

{

// Send the polygons down the pipeline (experimental, no checks)

glDrawElements(GL_TRIANGLES, m_pTerrainData->m_pTerrainFragments[l_iFragment].m_NumIndices, GL_UNSIGNED_INT, m_pTerrainData->m_pTerrainFragments[l_iFragment].m_pIndices);

}

// Exit the Texture Matrix Mode :-O

glPopMatrix();

glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);

// Now to unbind for the next run

// Diffuse Map on Texture Unit 1

glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE1_ARB);

glClientActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE1_ARB);

glDisableClientState(GL_TEXTURE_COORD_ARRAY);

m_pRenderer->m_pTextureManager->UnBindTexture(m_pTerrainData->m_pTextureLayers[l_iLayer].m_DiffuseMap);

// Alpha Channel on Texture Unit 0

glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB);

glClientActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB);

glDisableClientState(GL_TEXTURE_COORD_ARRAY);

m_pRenderer->m_pTextureManager->UnBindTexture(m_pTerrainData->m_pTextureLayers[l_iLayer+1].m_DiffuseMap);

}	

// Restore the render state

glDisableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);

glDisableClientState(GL_NORMAL_ARRAY);

glDisable(GL_BLEND);

glUseProgramObjectARB(0);

}

And now what i actually get with that code: I do a couple of translations on the rocky texture, and when I go up close there is actually a snowy texture...with my vertex shader these transformations shouldn't even take place should they? Up close on 'terrain': Any help appreciated
Adventures of a Pro & Hobby Games Programmer - http://neilo-gd.blogspot.com/Twitter - http://twitter.com/neilogd
Advertisement
Ok, I just looked through your code a bit. You need to understand that once you call the shader object all rendering is passed off to the shader. You can get rid of all the FFP code you have like blending ect... It will do no good. You are responsible for all rendering once you call a shader object for that mesh. From what I can tell you should have red on your fragments, but you have your textures showing up on your terrain and from the code you posted thats not possible due to you do nothing with the textures in the fragment shader.
thats exactly what my problem is, but I don't have the slightest idea why, although my rendering code I posted is simply my FFP with sections commented out.

Got it working! Just done one of my crazy code rewrites and it decided to work...probably a tiny mistake I completely missed.
Adventures of a Pro & Hobby Games Programmer - http://neilo-gd.blogspot.com/Twitter - http://twitter.com/neilogd

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement