• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mtd

OpenGL Transparency ?

This topic is 4845 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm doing a 2D over the top view game with SDL & OpenGL Basically, I draw out the ground first, then draw the hero over top, all using texture-mapped openGL squares. On the sprite, I have set the background of the bmp to (255,0,255) so that I can make it transparent. How can I make it so that only the non (255,0,255) coloured part of the sprite is opeque while the rest is transparant so that I can see the ground through him? Thanks

Advertisement
Start by adding an alpha channel to your image, either in Photoshop or Gimp or whatever you use, or by doing it in the program when you load the image. Set the alpha channel, so that the opaque pixels have alpha 255 and that the transparent ones have alpha zero.
In your program do:
glEnable(GL_ALPHA_TEST);
glAlphaFunc(GL_GREATER,0.5);

Now only the pixels (or texels, actually) with alpha>0.5 (alpha 255 equals 1.0 on this scale) will be drawn.

Or get a key color to the transparent section, then take the color value of the key color and decalre it transparent while creating the texture.

Something like this:

if(r == 1 && g == 21 && b == 3)
a = 0;
else
a = 255;

This as is does not handle smooth blending through alpha but it handles well hard transparency.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!