• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
_Sigma

Unity Refering to an object

This topic is 4849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all. This question is somewhat linked to my problem I posted here and a singleton was suggested. Now, after a brief reading of singletons(although it was over my head), this doesn't seem to be what I want. And i'm just wasting my time here, until I say what the problem is. :P I'm not sure if this is a design flaw or just me being sill. Regardless, here is said problem. I have my main engine like so
//detects key presses :D
class KeyPress
{
public:
 bool forward;
 bool backward;
 bool left;
 bool right;
};

//This is our main game engine
class MercuryEngine
{
public:
       Key KeyPress;
       Sprite Player;
};
and within the Sprite class, I need to refer to the KeyPress class, specificaly, the one defined in the MercuryEngine class. How should I go about doing this? I have a bad feeling that this problem stems from a bad design, but ... well, any help would be super sweel! Cheers

Advertisement
If you don't want to use a singleton then you need to associate the Sprite class with either the KeyPress class or the MercuryEngine class. You can use a technique like dependency injection to get the Sprite to refer to the engine class by adding a constructor to the Sprite class:

Sprite::Sprite(MercuryEngine &engine)
: m_engine(engine)
{ // other setup }

Of course this means that you need to initialise the Sprite class when it is constructed which mean you might have trouble using Sprite as a stack allocated type and will need to change it to a Sprite pointer.

I would be tempted to have the KeyPress instance passed into the Sprite rather than have it call out to the engine so have something like this:

Sprite::ProcessKeyPress(KeyPress keyPress)
{ // handle key press }

Could I do somthing like this?

class Sprite()
{
GameEngine *engine;
Sprite(MercuryEngine engine)//constructor
};

Sprite::Sprite(MercuryEngine Gameengine)
{
this->engine = &Gameengine;
}

class GameEngine
{
Sprite Player (this);
};

Or is that just wrong?

Quote:
Original post by _Sigma
Could I do somthing like this?

class Sprite()
{
GameEngine *engine;
Sprite(MercuryEngine engine)//constructor
};

Sprite::Sprite(MercuryEngine Gameengine)
{
this->engine = &Gameengine;
}

class GameEngine
{
Sprite Player (this);
};

Or is that just wrong?

A good start! A couple of corrections:

class Sprite {
private:
GameEngine *engine; // The pointer to the game engine
public:
Sprite(GameEngine *_engine) { // Pass a pointer, and just set engine = _engine, easy
engine = _engine;
}
};
class GameEngine {
private:
Sprite Player;
public:
GameEngine() {
Player = Sprite(this); // Initialize Player in the ctor of GameEngine,
// pass it "this," a _pointer_ to the calling class, not an instance
}
};

Personally, I think it would be much easier to just make GameEngine a singleton, rather than pass a pointer to every single sprite object. Anything in particular that you don't get about them or something I could explain?
Edit: Various formatting corrections.

Well, I don't think that is going to work. For starters you would want to pass the engine class by reference rather than using the reference operator on the parameter like so:

class Sprite()
{
GameEngine *engine;
Sprite(MercuryEngine &engine)//constructor
};

Sprite::Sprite(MercuryEngine &Gameengine)
{
engine = Gameengine;
}

If you don't then your engine member variable will point to a location on the stack which won't be valid.

Next, you can't initialise member variables in the class declaration and have to use the initialiser clause of a constructor like so:

class GameEngine
{
Sprite Player;
};

GameEngine::GameEngine
: Player(this)
{ // set up here }

Unfortunately, I don't think this will work as the "this" pointer isn't valid at this point (although I could have mis remembered this detail) so you need to do something else. Perhaps have a Sprite pointer?

class GameEngine
{
Sprite *Player;
};

GameEngine::GameEngine()
{
Player = new Sprite(this);
// other set up here
}

GameEngine::~GameEngine()
{
delete Player;
// other cleanup here
}

My memory is a bit sketchy about the details on "this" so it might not be valid here either but it is worth a try.

The greater question is whether you should do this at all, I think it is starting to get into the realms of tortured architecture if you have 2 classes that refer to each other. As I said before, I would be more comfortable if the Sprite class had KeyPress objects passed into it rather than have it query something else for them.

Quote:
Original post by misterPhyrePhox

A good start! A couple of corrections:

class Sprite {
private:
public:
Sprite(GameEngine *_engine) { // Pass a pointer, and just set engine = _engine, easy
engine = _engine;
}
};
class GameEngine {
private:
Sprite Player;
public:
GameEngine() {
Player = Sprite(this); // Initialize Player in the ctor of GameEngine,
}
};

I don't want to be a pain but the line
Player = Sprite(this);
is only going to work if Sprite also has a default constructor that takes no arguments. Right now it doesn't so this isn't going to work. However if it did then there would have to be code to deal with a Sprite with an uninitialise pointer to a GameEngine instance which is complicating it for no real reason.

Wow..this is nuts :P lol Hmm....wow lol.
Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't think this will work as the "this" pointer isn't valid at this point
I think it will be, b/c as soon as the GameEngine class is created, the 'this' pointer becomes valid. Or not? :P I'm pretty sure it does.

Well, i think I'll deal with this after I get some sleep, and thing this through logicaly.
Quote:
...just make GameEngine a singleton, rather than pass a pointer to every single sprite object. Anything in particular that you don't get about them or something I could explain?
I'll have another look at it, and see if I can sort it out. Then see if its what I want.

Is it a bad idea(other than this headache) to have to intermingled classes like this? Is this frowned upon, or just kinda confusing? :P

Thanks everyone!

//edit. So fully corrected this might work?
class Sprite {
private:

public:
Sprite(GameEngine &_engine) { engine = _engine; // Pass a pointer, and just set engine = _engine, easy

}

};

class GameEngine {
private:
Sprite *Player;

public:
GameEngine() {

Player = new Sprite(this); // Initialize Player in the ctor of GameEngine,

}
};

As I said, I can't quite remember when the this pointer because valid.

Yes I think the current code might work, although you probably want to make your Sprite constructor consistent like so:

Sprite(GameEngine *_engine)
{
engine = _engine;
}

Quote:

Is it a bad idea(other than this headache) to have to intermingled classes like this? Is this frowned upon, or just kinda confusing?

I would say that confusing should be frowned upon, anything that compromises maintenance should be frowned upon. To answer your question, anytime where you have 2 objects that refer to each other you are bound to get into trouble. I am sure there are expections (there always are) but I think this is something worth avoiding if possible.

Hm...I just couldn't think of any other way around it, unless I made sprite not a class...But I don't think this current case will make maintenance any harder tho..

Well. I guess i'll try this tomorrow, and watch the fireworks :P thanks guys, i'll let you know what happens.

Quote:
Original post by _Sigma
Hm...I just couldn't think of any other way around it, unless I made sprite not a class

No don't do that, keep it as a seperate class. Perhaps if you can be a bit more expansive about the problems you are facing I might be able to give you some better (and hopefully more detailed) advice. Right now I can't see what problem you are trying to solve.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!