• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Avont29

getting worried

This topic is 4843 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey, my friend keeps telling me that c++ programming is really hard, people go to college for years to know that stuff, i really want to game program with c++, but he keeps putting me down :( i mean is C++ game programming really hard? and he prefers darkbasic, i don't want to do darkbasic because it is limited, but on the other hand its easy, to load a sound all you do is load sound, compared to C++ in which it takes almost 5 lines of code, i don't want to go back to basic, its too basic, and somethings wrong with that

Advertisement
C++ can be challenging to learn, but it is definately worthwhile if you plan to do any kind os CS career. Of course, you will want to learn as many languages as possible.

If you already have a little experience with programming, c++ shouldn't be too difficult to learn. Basically, akll you must learn is the syntax and the few quirks that differ from other languages.

It does take a long time to master C++, but that doesn't mean that you have to wait a long time before you start using it. If you feel DarkBasic is too basic, then it's time to move up.

You might try Java, first. It's less complicated than C++, but it is based on similar concepts. Once you get a handle on Java, switching to C++ should be easy (if that's what you want to do).

ok, i made up my mind, i'll learn C++, i like hard, this will be challenging, because that darkbasic , its jsut too easy, and its weak and limited, C++ is hard and powerful, i want that, so i'll just get books, and keep learning, i just hope the game programming part isn't too hard :'(

Hi again...

I haven't tried darkbasic myself... but if you think its "basic" and you are confident with it... then why don't you try and master darkbasic... make an alright game with it... get yourself familiar with programming and making games... that'll give you more confidence to jump to c++...

I think you shouldn't think of it as "learning to program gamesonly".. you should tackle your learning by "learning to program"...

once again.. good luck

i already know darkbasic, and i don't want to do darkbasic, i want to do C++ because its more powerful and by the way is "C++ Programming Fundamentals" a good book? i have it

I dislike darkbasic, anyone can learn C++ if they really try, a guy I knew from college preferred darkbasic and blizbasic and I always told him to use c++, he never really listened, never really got very far. Made a few games but nothing that really impressed me most of his work pretty much sucked.

I say stop listening to your friend, stick with c++, its much more impressive then anything made with game languages. Mainly because not only did you make something which is harder to make but you understand the stuff in much more exquisite detail.

That being said, do not expect to make a big 3D quake 4 game in a few months, it will take quite awhile, don't let that idea fill your mind.

There is one major thing that your "friend" along with others fail to see about c++ though, it has the ability to use an almost unlimited amount of game engines (libraries/sdks) to make games much more rapidly. (see small list or a database)

You could easily buy a game engine like Torque used to make Tribes, or even a free one like Irrlicht. If you make a good enough development team you could probably make a pretty decent game. The hardest part in my opinion though is making that team, along with keeping people from loosing interest especially if its a non-pay thing.

The funny thing is that DarkBasic is even listed as an engine, there which implying that its not really a programming language but an engine, which tends to be a common misconception. There is those that probably will argue this but based on it being listed I don't see how that is an argument, C++ allows you to not limit yourself to one.

Using a game engine is not much differnt then using a "game language" such as darkbasic, but you get more power and are not limited to one. Plus it simplifys the development process by removing the re-invention of the wheel. [grin]

[Edited by - DevLiquidKnight on August 9, 2005 1:39:33 AM]

Quote:
Original post by Avont29
i want to do C++ because its more powerful

I don't want to go against the run of play here but this is only a concern if darkbasic lacks the features that you want to use. If your project won't run into the boundaries of darkbasic I think you should stick with it as you know that already. Languages are only a tool to get things done and if an "inferior" tool can get the job done then there isn't much point in going with the "superior" one as it won't aid you in completing your project.

Quote:
Original post by vaugula
Quote:
Original post by Avont29
i want to do C++ because its more powerful

I don't want to go against the run of play here but this is only a concern if darkbasic lacks the features that you want to use. If your project won't run into the boundaries of darkbasic I think you should stick with it as you know that already. Languages are only a tool to get things done and if an "inferior" tool can get the job done then there isn't much point in going with the "superior" one as it won't aid you in completing your project.

uhh, maybe you misread or something, i don't like the basic engine, i like the hardness and complexity of C++, and its powerful, darkbasic was just to introduce me to progrmaming, i justy said i don't want to do darkbasic, and you suggest it anyway

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!