getting worried

Started by
24 comments, last by Avont29 18 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by Avont29
uhh, maybe you misread or something, i don't like the basic engine, i like the hardness and complexity of C++, and its powerful, darkbasic was just to introduce me to progrmaming, i justy said i don't want to do darkbasic, and you suggest it anyway

No I didn't misread. I was just trying to point out that languages are tools and that you shouldn't discard one purely on the basis that it isn't as "hard" or "powerful" as another. All I am trying to point out is that if a given project can be done using darkbasic then perhaps that is a better language to use because you already know it.

It all comes down to your objectives, if your objective is to learn C++ then by all means go ahead and do that. If your objective is to create a game that could be created using darkbasic then I think you should lower your overhead by using it. If your object is to create a game that cannot be easily created using darkbasic but can be done using C++ then perhaps you should use C++.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by vaugula
uhh, maybe you misread or something, i don't like the basic engine, i like the hardness and complexity of C++, and its powerful, darkbasic was just to introduce me to progrmaming, i justy said i don't want to do darkbasic, and you suggest it anyway

No I didn't misread. I was just trying to point out that languages are tools and that you shouldn't discard one purely on the basis that it isn't as "hard" or "powerful" as another. All I am trying to point out is that if a given project can be done using darkbasic then perhaps that is a better language to use because you already know it.

It all comes down to your objectives, if your objective is to learn C++ then by all means go ahead and do that. If your objective is to create a game that could be created using darkbasic then I think you should lower your overhead by using it. If your object is to create a game that cannot be easily created using darkbasic but can be done using C++ then perhaps you should use C++.

err... there's nothing wrong with what vaugula said... if the game u r making can be done without any flaws with darkbasic... then why not use it? since you already know it... it'll be easier. well, what do you need that darkbasic doesn't have and c++ has? if you can point something out then... we can probably give you more advice.

afterall if you are so keen on learning C++, then go ahead, the decision is yours (a good decision i must say). I don't see any point starting a thread like this.
-fuchiefck----------------------------------------------------------"Inside the world that you as a programmer or developer create, you are God" - Zerbst & Duvel
Quote:Original post by fuchiefck
Quote:Original post by vaugula

err... there's nothing wrong with what vaugula said... if the game u r making can be done without any flaws with darkbasic... then why not use it? since you already know it... it'll be easier. well, what do you need that darkbasic doesn't have and c++ has? if you can point something out then... we can probably give you more advice.

afterall if you are so keen on learning C++, then go ahead, the decision is yours (a good decision i must say). I don't see any point starting a thread like this.

you didn't have to reply to this thread if you think it was so pointless, and i want tolearn C++ cause i want to, stop quesitoning about it,
jee calm down

well... as i said... go ahead... and good luck with it... I'm not questioning anything.

Quote:i justy said i don't want to do darkbasic, and you suggest it anyway

was just saying out that vaugula has made a valid point, and what u are replying to him/her shows that you aren't appreciating any advice given to you. Anyway no one is telling you not to learn c++ and stick with darkbasic. We are just analysing and feeding you with more thoughts.
-fuchiefck----------------------------------------------------------"Inside the world that you as a programmer or developer create, you are God" - Zerbst & Duvel
ok, thanks :) i'll stick with C++ , is 3d game programming with C++ really hard?
im sorry vaug and fuchi, i was a little upset, well, no i wasn't.....
hey, my friend keeps telling me that c++ programming is really hard, people go to college for years to know that stuff, i really want to game program with c++, but he keeps putting me down :( i mean is C++ game programming really hard? and he prefers darkbasic, i don't want to do darkbasic because it is limited, but on the other hand its easy, to load a sound all you do is load sound, compared to C++ in which it takes almost 5 lines of code, i don't want to go back to basic, its too basic, and somethings wrong with that

No, C++ isn't what people go to college for years for. C++ is something you can learn in a month or less. Actual programming though, designing big programs properly and efficiently, solving any problems that occur, and making sensible and well-informed decisions on implementation issue, *that* is what people go to college for years for. And you face these exact same issues in every language. And that is really hard.

C++ or DarkBasic or any other language is no big deal. However, learning all the above is much easier in a simple language. So you could say that you are complicating matters by learning C++ first.
It's definitely not impossible though.

Quote:
load a sound all you do is load sound, compared to C++ in which it takes almost 5 lines of code

5? Try 50+. You need a lot more work behind the scenes to even get something that's able to load a sound.

Quote:
you didn't have to reply to this thread if you think it was so pointless, and i want tolearn C++ cause i want to, stop quesitoning about it,

You want to because you want to? Yay for circular arguments. Why did you bother asking, if you're not interested in answers?
Seems you've already made up your mind on what to do, so what difference does it make if we tell you that C++ is hugely difficult, and will take you the next 20 years to learn? (Not that we're telling you that)

But DarkBasic is actually just as powerful as C++ when it comes to games. Yes, performance might be a bit slower, but you can make any game in it if you want to.
Good ol' SpoonBender, always there to disect and rip apart what someone says!
Avont, it sounds like you want to learn Cpp just cause' there's all this hype on the internet (this site included) about how it's powerful and popular and "the best" and blah blah blah... but go ahead, learn Cpp if you want, I'm not stopping you. Just remember, if you don't like Cpp or think it's too hard, you're not commited to stick with it. You can always go back to DarkBasic, or jump to Java, or do whatever. I tried to start with ASM, couldn't figure out what 1 line of it meant, switched to C/Cpp, and now I'm happy :)
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
ok, thanks :) i'll stick with C++ , is 3d game programming with C++ really hard?

Nothing is hard if you stick with it long enough...

hey, my friend keeps telling me that c++ programming is really hard, people go to college for years to know that stuff, i really want to game program with c++

Search for "C++" in google, you will find thousands and thousands of documentation.
I don't think that all these people who wrote all these tutorials did a collge for that.

[Edited by - Fenryl on August 9, 2005 6:25:21 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement