• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Wavinator

[.net] Project Files with comma & copying form data?

This topic is 4846 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm curious if any other Visual Studio users (C#, C++ or VB) have run into this bug: If I create a project which has a comma (Rock, Paper and Scissors, for example) in the project name, the compiler appears to be unable to locate the project's resource file. The error issued is "REG0000" and indicates that the project "does not have a known extension. Managed resource files must end in .ResX, .txt, or .resources." The error can be recreated simply by creating a new project (with a comma) and attempting to compile. (It looks like some MS programmer forgot to parse long file names [evil]) Since I've just spent the better part of two hours using WinForms to create an elaborate form, my work is lost. Does anyone know how to import form data to a new project? Google was my enemy on this one. Thanks for any help!

Advertisement
The files are referenced internally within certain project files. I tried renaming everything at the file level and that of course failed; then I tried editing the resource and project files, but there appears to be some area where the old name is still referenced.

I thought that I could simply copy the Form1.h and Form1.resx file to a new (correctly named) project, but while the code copies over fine, Visual Studio reports "Catastrophic Failure" when attempting to access design view. NO amount of tweaking or compiling appears to fix this.

I tried next to create a new project based on the old, but can't seem to get the CLR options right, resulting in a project that can't find even the most basic level resource information relating to the System namespace. Totally fubared!

Form layout and controls is generated by code in a method called InitializeComponent. Have you tried creating a new form and copying that function over? Then you'd have to copy over the rest of the supporting code... I'm not sure this is a good idea anymore. Sorry, not sure what else to suggest.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I eventually had to start over.

@mutex: Tried this, but it got too hairy to continue

@capn: Yes, I edited the XML doc and all other files for internal references of the comma. Still no dice.

Let this be a warning to us all, never to be so silly as to attempt to include a comma in a project!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!