• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
QuadMV

Some new screen shots

This topic is 4844 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Everyone has been so great; I wanted to post a few more of the latest screen shots showing my Terrain engine. Thanks to everyone for all the help and support. It's been an awesome experience. It's great to see something really start to take shape. It blows me away when I compare the new system to some of my old legacy screen shots. It looks and plays soo much better, and I owe a lot to those who have helped me on this board. THANKS!!! Now on to the object libraries so I can get a city to walk through.  Visit: http://samples.3dmuve.com The latest screen shots are in : 007_20050808_shading (note: you'll be redirected to port 81, so if you are blocked by a firewall, that's probably the problem) Any feedback or comments are always welcome. Quad

Advertisement
Hey QuadMV,
Those screenshots looks awesome. Well done mate. It's fantastic to hear feedback from people like you. This is what makes gdnet work.

Well done and keep going at it.

is there any way you could upload those screenshots to imageshack or something ? my company's firewall is blocking the port 81.

Nice looking screenies, good work! Only thing I would add would be some kind of detail maps for terrain, and maybe transparent water. These things are easy to add, and they would make the scene look quite a bit better. Just my 0.02€.

Thanks for the kind feedback.

Quote:

Nice lighting and shadows. What method are you using?

I'm using something called sloap lighting. It's basically a lightmap, but generated based on the sloap of the terrain. It's super easy to do, has virtually no cost to render, and looks quite good. It can also be generated dynamically so you could simulate the sun moving over the terrain pretty easily.

Quote:

Only thing I would add would be some kind of detail maps for terrain

There is a detail map, but most of the screen shots were taken in the air. If you are close to the ground the textures are much higher resolution. None of the screen shots are really looking down too much. Next time I put some pics up I'll look down in a few so you can see. If you look close, some of them show the detail better.

Quote:

and maybe transparent water

Actually the water is transparent, and it's also animated, but I can't show that in a screen shot :-) I'm not using a shader for the water, but maybe in a later release. For now however, the water looks adequate. It is a darker transparency, as friends thought it was too clear at first and suggested I darken it.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback. Please continue to comment. I hope to have a pseudo city somewhere on the planet in a couple of weeks.

For those interested, the planet most of these screenshots were taken from is approx 120 square miles. The pictures don't do the scale justice. That's why am anxious to get some buildings in there.

Quad

Quote:
Original post by QuadMV
There is a detail map, but most of the screen shots were taken in the air. If you are close to the ground the textures are much higher resolution.

Oh, sorry about that, I really should have looked those pictures more carefully before posting. [grin]

Quote:

How did you load the map? Heightmap?

I am using a form of a heightmap, but with my own twist to how I handle splitting, blending, culling and LOD. Eventually once I get a few more things worked out I hope to write a white paper on what I'm doing (time permitting)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!