• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
alex32

Final Fantasy XII

This topic is 4844 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, i know it won't be easy but do you have an idea how they programmed Final Fantasy XII (PS2). I'm new to games and i'm particularly interested in 3D Human animations like Face models, body movement and so on..I believe they must have used some existing tool like MAX to create those models, how to animate them..? i've seen some Game developers tools like Game Studio (http://www.conitec.net/a4info.htm) but i'm not sure if that can create those type of games... Please can you give some idea of which tools and platforms are required to do that type of game-movie .. thanks and regards alex

Advertisement
To put it lightly, YOU cant. What Square does is very high quality and requires ALOT of people to create the stuff they make.
If you want to do just simple things, use some free 3d engine and get yourself a team and learn to do something (Programming, modelling, composing, etc...) And then you'll see how it is like to create games :)

P.S: FF12 especially has at least 1 million polygons for each character...

Quote:
Original post by XVampireX
P.S: FF12 especially has at least 1 million polygons for each character...

Maybe i'm misunderstanding what you mean by each character, but this article suggests differently.

Quote:
To illustrate the point, slides were shown of Vaan's and Ashe's in-game models, which were 1,487 and 1,479 polygons

It was an over exagaration :P I know.

But they put alot of effects into them to look much better than what they have...

Thanks all,

i believe they've just used real-humans as main actors and then somehow applied some filters in order to make them appear like a computer-generated ones...

Lot of work no doubt ...
Thanks, alex

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by alex32
Hi all,

i know it won't be easy but do you have an idea how they programmed Final Fantasy XII (PS2). I'm new to games and i'm particularly interested in 3D Human animations like Face models, body movement and so on..I believe they must have used some existing tool like MAX to create those models, how to animate them..? i've seen some Game developers tools like Game Studio (http://www.conitec.net/a4info.htm) but i'm not sure if that can create those type of games...

Please can you give some idea of which tools and platforms are required to do that type of game-movie ..

thanks and regards
alex

I was under the impression that the remake of FFXII was going to release for the PS3. Before you worry about doing any type of 3D animation you need to learn how to model. My guess is that SquareEnix uses tools like 3D Studio Max or Maya to create their models. They more than likely also have custom software they've developed. Both 3DS Max and Maya are quite expensive, though Maya is avaliable in a "Learning Edition" for ~$70.00.

Even if you get the tools that trailer was produced by teams of veteren modelers, animators, and programmers. We're talking years and years of experience and multi-million dollar budgets. Also unless you have access to a render farm trying to render something like that on a home PC (even top of the line) would take a very long time (assuming it's even possible). I doubt you'll be able create something like that on your own (just because of the sheer amount of work and money involved) however if you hone your skills it's possible you could become part of a team that can create such works.

That said it's possible to get a respectable start with tools that are much less expensive. Blender is a free modeling and animation program. Callgari has release version 3 of it's TrueSpace modeler for free. There is also the previously mention learning addition of Maya. As for programming most commerical games and software tend to be written in C and C++.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by alex32
Thanks all,

i believe they've just used real-humans as main actors and then somehow applied some filters in order to make them appear like a computer-generated ones...

Lot of work no doubt ...
Thanks, alex

They use motion capture technology, which allows human actors to control the actions of the 3D models.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I was under the impression that the remake of FFXII was going to release for the PS3.

They may be making a remake of FF VII for PS3, X means 10 in roman numerals, so XII is twelve :)

Spree

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

I was under the impression that the remake of FFXII was going to release for the PS3.

Why are you talking about a remake of FFXII when it's not even out yet, and most likely won't be out until early 2006? They are making a version of FFXI for the XBox360, however. That'll keep it going for at least another 3 years...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!