Call of Duty - Any multiplayer tips guys?

Started by
14 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 6 months ago
Right, so I'm not that good at multiplayer Call of Duty, yet through peer pressure it seems that's the game we play on the lan at lunch. I am getting quite tired of being at the bottom of the leader board pretty much constantly, any sage advice from you guys? Seems that 2 players in particular seem to be able to shoot people without shouldering a weapon even while running and get a shot in... when I try that it seems to miss. Is there a trick to this, any particular part to aim for? Right now I would aim for their balls if I could and it be fatal, cocky sons of bitches!
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Advertisement
First, learn the maps, you can often figure out where people are heading to get to the good spots and you can ambush them. Often players learn where the spawn points are and run towards those. You can get a lot of kills by sending a grenade or two into those spawn points.

Second, almost always use the sight down weapon. You get much better aim.

Third, aim for the torso if using machine guns. They tend to 'ride up' and at the end up at the head.

Fouth, do short bursts of fire. If you just empty your clip all the time it screws up your aim, so do short bursts of fire.

It depends on what weapon you like to use. Often map determines weapon, big space means rifles, buildings and closed spaces you want machine guns.
OK, there is talent, and there is skill. Can't help you talent wise, but here's a few things to consider.

Sound is your friend. This is probably the biggest weakness in public games of most FPS's. Most people play like they don't have sound on at all, and the result is them looking like complete morons. Unless you have 5.1+ speakers, get a good set of headphones, and pay close attention. In over 1000 public games, I've been meleed only 18x, and mainly that's because it was a close battle, and they hit the melee button while real close. I've only been meleed to death twice without realizing the person was there. Unless they're crouched, prone, or standing still, you should be able to tell where everyone on the other team is within a fairly large distance. If you hear someone, start shooting before you hit the corner. They most likely will call you a cheater, but, remember, most people in public games seem to act like they can't hear.

Never run around corners. Get to a corner by crouching, and learn to see around the corner. Do this really quick. Just tap the lean button, don't press it. Should give you a 1/4 of a second glance. Pay attention to where you saw any enemies, if you did see any. If not, you can move past the corner. If you did, remember on the screen where you saw them. Line up your gun to take aim at that position, then tap the lean button, and immediately tap the shoot button. Works best with rifles.

Shoot where they will be, not where they are. If you see a person running, don't aim for them and shoot, that's a beginners mistake. Aim for where they are running, and before they reach there, start shooting. Remember, you have to take into consideration lag & the fact that bullets aren't instantaneous.

The above point also ties into the fact that people are extremely predictable. I'd say that even in competitive games (CAL, etc), most people do the exact same things EVERY time. When they realize that they've been found out, they end up doing something else to break their predictability, that's just as predictable. Learn to throw nades around corners you know where people will be, without actually seeing around the corner. Once again, they'll call you a cheater most likely, but fail to realize that they are predictable. Even the best players are predictable. Granted, they're really good, and will most likely kill you, even if you know exactly where they will be, but they're still predictable.

Finally, PATIENCE. If you see someone, don't go Rambo on them. Take your time. Most people tend to do badly because they try to go on the offensive. If you have time, wait. If you see someone, and they see you, and they go behind a corner, wait. 10 seconds goes by, still wait. Unless you know of a way they could get to you, that's not covered, chances are they'll stick their head out again, enough for you to put a bullet in it.
useful tips guys, ratings+++++

what about the unaimed shots they seem to get even when not looking down the sight of the weapon? Time and again I watch replays and seem them managing to kill even while moving and the crosshairs that are more then an inch apart.

When looking down the sight of say, a rifle, you want their head to be at the top of the middle bit of the site the juts from the bottom right?

|---||   || | |   <- at the top end of that bit in the middle?|---|
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
You can get fairly good at aiming without the ironsights, which should be used only for longer shots. Unless in MP you don't get the slow down while your sights are up.

As said, use your ears first, eyes second. with a tommy/mp40/44, I at times can do fairly well ambushing someone with my eyes closed.

Learn the weapons sounds, and watch who is killing with what weapons.

Fire in brusts as said, use long sprays only when there are a number of people grouped together.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Only use the iron sights for distance shots. When running and the crosshairs go wide just position the target in the dead center of the crosshairs and you should hit them. I can get a lot of kills this way as it's also harder for the enemy to hit you if you are running.
____________________________________________________________Programmers Resource Central
I don't have too much experience with Call of Duty... but I have played too many online WWII FPSs.

The main trick I use when playing is no never waste time. Time is precious and if you waste it running around the map like an idiot then you won't get many kills. Know where the choke points are... know where the objectives are... and stay were the enemy is (or where the enemy is likely headed). If you know the maps better than the guy on the other side.... you will most likely be able to get in a better position to kill him.

Most of your deaths are going to come from you doing something stupid. Turning a corner without being careful, running into enemy fire, exposing yourself, GETTING CONFINDENT, or getting caught in a firefight and having to reload. That last one is important.... always watch your ammo... and if you are in a lull in the fighting reload even if you have rounds left in your gun.

Now a WWII FPS is not an Unreal or Halo style of game so odds are you won't succeed much if you run at a guy with your sub machine gun. If you see someone coming. Try to move as much as you can... and aim for the top of the torso(not the head.... the head is too small and you won't be able to hit it easily).

There are a lot of people that may tell you to stick togeather with other people on your team. Now while sometimes thats a good idea if you are playing strong objective based games, if your team isn't working togeather too well you may want to stay away... because big crowds of people make good targets.

The best advice of all is just to practice... watch where the guys at the top of the leaderboard are going and what they are doing. And whatever you do... just enjoy it... the minute you get obsesing about scores it stops being fun and just becomes a hassle.
"Go on get out last words are for fools who have not said enough already." -- Karl Marx
i used to play CoD:UO loads untill i got Battlefield 2..

I find the best/easiest allround weapon is the mp44.
Shoot in very small rapid bursts. This will also help abit with shooting while moving, as the shots from short bursts tend to stay more central.
Learn to shoot down the sight, then you can rapidly switch down the sight, kill, then back to normal for longer/trickier shots.
Going prone increases the aim, so you can quickly go prone, shoot the person infront of you and get back up.
I used to be crap, so i would practice on a particular aspect for a whole game, for example only allow yourself to shoot people from looking down theironsight. only use a pistol. only kill with a headshot. or playing with the wrong type of gun for that map. Helped me, but might not be usefull for everyone.
I play COD on line all the time. I am usually in the top 5-8 guys in a group of 40 playing, but then, I don't consider myself that good.

I like to use the nazi rifle ( no scope - Kar98 ), because it is such a skill weapon - but this kills me on many maps that aren't suited for it.

Here is a partial list of maps and the weapons to use :

Carentan : ( small french town ) : Thomspon all the way. The nazis are at a huge disadvantage in close quarters, as the thomson is so much more effective than any other nazi weapon.

Brecort : (ditches and big aa guns ): Nazi rifle, usa m1 rifle, or usa BAR ( especially prone ). Also good for sniping.

Rocket : Sniping rifle of any kind or kar98. My favorite place to camp is behind the lowest rock at one north side of the map. I lie down to reload, pop up and kill ppl from there.

Sicily : brit assault rifle, nazi kar98 or mp44.

I think the nazi mp40 is the worst weapon in the game.

Also, if you are about to die by being surprised or sprayed, just drop a grenade, you may get a cheap kill or two.

Finally, if you are sniping, get to the sniping spot before attacking dudes up close. If you are using a close weapon, don't run out in the open, stay indoors or near cover.

Using the placed machine guns is a good way to kill n00bs, but will locate you & get you killed quick by good players.
hmm more good advice, ratings for all [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement