• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kryshu

Im soo Lost

This topic is 4844 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just started to Learn C++ it was just recently that i decided from being a Police officer and become game development, not sure if I want to go into like character dev or like level dev but im learning c++ on my own for now and im really confused... if anyone could like send me in the right direction it would be great help.. alos is 19 years old to late to start this stuff .. if anyone has an opinion on it .. thanx

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Kryshu
alos is 19 years old to late to start this stuff ..
No! Not at all [smile]
Have you checked this out? There's a lot of useful information there.
The forum FAQ also contains a lot of useful info.

thanx man ,yah like i bought BEginning C++ from chapters the other day and lol all iv made is GAme Over Program,but what gets me down is that sure the book shows how to make certain programs but without thew book im soo lost like i wouldnt know how to write my own program or alter sumthing on my own... and none of my friends are into it... so i have a feeling im going to be on this site for a while... also i have True space 7 a animation studio dev program its alos confusing... lolbut thanx for the post im gunna check it out

There's never the word 'too late'
I started to learn C++ when I was 21 years old.

Don't set too high expectation first or you will burn-out yourself. Take it step by step. Get familiar with C++ language and write lots of small programs. When your foundation is strong, you can advance easily.

Good luck.

Yay! A Fellow Orleansean on the boards! Welcome!

I don't really know what to give you for advice. Everyone has a different opinion as to where to start. Personnaly, I wouldn't have picked C++ as a starting language if I didn't have a good understanding of programming concepts. But that's just me. Others would argue that once you've become comfortable with c++, that it you will be able to pick up the other languages in no time, and that you shouldn't waste your time learning another language that you aren't going to use. Do a search in these forums, there are dozens of threads that could help you.

Quite frankly though, you've started out on a good track. Buy a book and start coding, start small and working your way up. C++, programming, and game dev in general is HARD. It requires patience and dedication. If you have both, you're already ahead of many. The rest will come with time and experience.

Good Luck!

Welcome to the world of game development!

For some great on-line tutorials over C and C++, try these tutorials, this is where I learned most of my stuff about C++. Happy game/level/character developing!

Hey thanx a lot guys lol its prtty overwhelming when i felt all alone cuz i had no friedns into this stuff so im all alone so i think this forum will be a good reference if i need any help... also if anyone is familiar with truespace 7 and have any info or advice on the program id appreciate it very much.. if anyone wants to email me u can at animation22@hotmail.com thanx a a lot guys

Hey, keep your hopes up man, and take it step by step. I have a similar feeling having taken an interest in game development. I am 17 and many of the friends I used to hang out with a lot have started partying, or just dropping some of their hopes and following what their parents force feed to them as far as their future. That eerie feeling of abandonment will go away more and more though as you begin to find how fun programming in general can be, especially game programming ;). If you ever need some help on some basic C++ stuff (I'm definitely no expert yet either, I'm in a similar boat as you and we're only about a year and a half a part it seems.), feel free to message me. My AIM sn is in my profile. Above all, just keep taking the next step to reach your goal.

Hey Everyone Im kryshu's bestfriend and im exactly in the same boat as him!!
I dunno where to begin My world Of progamming? LIke i have Worldcraft because Ive always wanted to build a Counter-Strike Source Map but thats me!(but didnt know how to start it off lol) I was just wundering if anyone will know any good spots to start Or and ideas?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!