• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
vinb

'LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7' : undeclared identifier

This topic is 4845 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have brought my Asteroids project to work to show some friends, but I can't compile because of the following error: 'LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7' : undeclared identifier I'm using MC 6.0. I have ddraw.h included in my project and have set the search path to include its location. Could somebody please tell me what I'm missing? Thanks.

Advertisement
Does he have the DirectX SDK installed? You set the include and lib file search directories for the DXSDK -- right?

Yikes! The SDK doesn't seem to be installed. Didn't even think to check that. Although, the header file is in the include folder of Visual Studio. I would think that that's enough, right?

I would expect you to get library errors more than anything else. All of those DirectX .lib files get shoved into your program when it is compiled, and since the SDK is missing, it has no lib files to include.

It's possible that you included an older version of ddraw.h into your project. Or maybe your friend is using the default ddraw.h file on his system, which may be older than version 7.

Anyways, these errors do not suprise me as you do not have the SDK installed.

Wow. Just figured it out. Because I don't have the SDK installed, I had to also include dsound.lib and ddraw.lib from the PlatformSDK folder in Visual Studio. All works well now. Thanks for the help with this.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!