Noobie IN Training!

Started by
14 comments, last by Whomemi 18 years, 8 months ago
Hey Everyone Im kryshu's bestfriend and im exactly in the same boat as him!! I dunno where to begin My world Of progamming? LIke i have Worldcraft because Ive always wanted to build a Counter-Strike Source Map but thats me!(but didnt know how to start it off lol) I was just wundering if anyone will know any good spots to start Or any ideas?
Advertisement
Thank-you for posting a new thread. Anyways, you can start out with whatever language you want!

Scripting Language(s):
Python

Real Language(s):
C
C++
C#
J# (I don't think that it's that popular yet)
Visual Basic (Not recommended for games)
Java
Delphi

Do some googling on these if they sound interested. Also, most games written these days are in C++. I guess that many call it the "Industry Standard". After you do some research, find out which one you are most comfortable with. After that, get a book or 2 and read through every last detail of it. Following that, write a few console games on your own (if you are using C++) without any reference to the book. After that, step up to using a graphics library such as SDL or Allegro. Make some games in those (again, if using C++). Eventually, you will most likely form a team and start your first 3D game. When you are that far into programming, you will soon be able to make an MMORPG with the correct motivation. Although, many do their first MMORPG in 2D..well, just post if you want any more information!

(P.S.: Are you the one who liked DarkBASIC so much?) <- EDIT: WRONG PERSON

[Edited by - orcfan32 on August 9, 2005 7:44:03 PM]
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
I'd just like to point at that python is rapidly becoming a real language. It has a simple syntax that allows you to pick it up quickly but also higher level features that you cna leanr to use later. In short, it's a great language to grow with you. In addition, it has a great library, I can't count the number of times I've started to code a solution just to realize a library already exists for my need. I'm proficient in C++ but more and more I find myself wanting to use python. At least check it out here.
Quote:Original post by orcfan32
Thank-you for posting a new thread. Anyways, you can start out with whatever language you want!

Scripting languages:
Delphi (I think)
Python

Real Languages:
C
C++
C#
J# (I don't think that it's that popular yet)
Visual Basic (Not recommended for games)
Java

Do some googling on these if they sound interested. Also, most games written these days are in C++. I guess that many call it the "Industry Standard". After you do some research, find out which one you are most comfortable with. After that, get a book or 2 and read through every last detail of it. Following that, write a few console games on your own (if you are using C++) without any reference to the book. After that, step up to using a graphics library such as SDL or Allegro. Make some games in those (again, if using C++). Eventually, you will most likely form a team and start your first 3D game. When you are that far into programming, you will soon be able to make an MMORPG with the correct motivation. Although, many do their first MMORPG in 2D..well, just post if you want any more information!

(P.S.: Are you the one who liked DarkBASIC so much?)

Well, not everyone is making MMORPG's, because it takes about 2 years of development before you even have something slightly usuable.

How about learning a programming language first and write 10 games, starting with Pong/Tetris and then more complex games?

Toolmaker

To start of no i aint the one who liked darBASICS because i dont even know what it is lol :P

Well i was thinking about learning c++ because everyone talking about it and saying its a great thing to learn and very useful for gaming and such!

I dont have any money at this time to buy books soo im trying to learn off the internet tuturials. What program can i download to practice the coding? because ive found a few sites but havent looked at them briefly yet soo im not even sure if their gunna suggest a program to download so i can pratice!
Here are some tutorials for C++.
For the programming you could try Code::Blocks or Dev-Cpp
____________________________________________________________Programmers Resource Central
Dev-Cpp is U-S-E-R...F-R-I-E-N-D-L-Y.
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
Code::Blocks' D-E-B-U-G-G-E-R W-O-R-K-S
{[JohnE, Chief Architect and Senior Programmer, Twilight Dragon Media{[+++{GCC/MinGW}+++{Code::Blocks IDE}+++{wxWidgets Cross-Platform Native UI Framework}+++
Dev-Cpp's D-E-B-U-G-G-E-R...I-S...U-L-T-I-M-A-T-E. It tells you the error, and where (which line). Besides, Dev-Cpp's bold\colors makes code much more readable.
Dev-C++'s debugger is ultimate all right...ultimately buggy. A buggy debugger? That won't do. Code::Blocks' debugger has the same functionality.

And the colors and styles of text are completely customizable in both Dev-C++ and Code::Blocks.
{[JohnE, Chief Architect and Senior Programmer, Twilight Dragon Media{[+++{GCC/MinGW}+++{Code::Blocks IDE}+++{wxWidgets Cross-Platform Native UI Framework}+++

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement