• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ProgrammingNerd

what's the difference between a simplification mesh and a progressive mesh

This topic is 4848 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Hard to say since people use terms like that to describe a whole bunch of different approaches.

But if I had to guess I'd say a simplification mesh would be a simpler version of a mesh computed offline, you might have a model with 2 or 3 different detail levels, then you'd switch based on distance or another factor, much like a mipmap.

Progressive meshes are simplified real-time, usually by keeping the vertex buffer and editing the index buffer to display more or less triangles as needed.

Simplification meshes can only reduce the number of polygons in an object - they can't increase it. Progressive meshes can do both. Make sure you plan accordingly, because with simplification meshes, you can't go back.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!