nested if statements

Started by
4 comments, last by Sneftel 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi a simple question: Does using three nested 'if' staments incur less overhead than having all three conditions in one? Several simple tests I ran seem to suggest the former. But maybe thats just an unfounded observation ;o) cheers
Advertisement
No. Here's why.
Well, if they were all combined, that's less file size... (If I'm understanding you post here..)
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
Assuming C++ (and other languages with short circuit evaluation) and assuming that you are using non overloaded versions of || or && to combine conditions, then there should be no difference in the nested if statements and the three conditions in one. Of course, you might be doing something extra funky (like overloading &&) that could make that statement false.
Nothing funky. It was just one of those things I was curious about as I was writing them up... "is there really a difference". The tests were simply a counter inside one the two possibilities. Keep track of how long it takes to reach a certain number. Run each many many times. And see if there is a pattern. Shorter times tended most of the time to lean towards broken up conditions. Im using VC++6 and maybe another one of those oddities on the list of things it does that arent the norm.

Or maybe not ;o)

Cheers
Probably not. I recall short-circuiting working just fine in VC6. The nature of short-circuit evaluation, in fact, is such that it's actually somewhat easier to implement it than to not implement it; you can just stick a conditional jump after each test, instead of accumulating the boolean result somewhere.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement