Different kind of begginer

Started by
19 comments, last by Billr17 18 years, 8 months ago
Well, I'm not a begginer in Programming, Art, or Sound. I am however, a PC Hardware begginer, and I wasn't able to think of a better place to put this question. So here's the deal... So I'm building my sweet new PC. First PC I ever built. I have everything hooked up, sound card, graphics card, hard drive, DVD/CD Burner, power supply, memory, everything... so I decide I'm going to hook up a monitor (mind you I don't have Windows yet, it should be coming in the mail, but I am impatient) and decide to turn it on. Everything turns on and seems fine. Only problem is the monitor is not recieving a signal. It's hooked securely to the graphics card and everything... no signal. Now, will I need Windows to finally see some action with this thing? Oh, and by the way, the DVD/CD Burner does not come on. Won't open, no light, nothing. It is plugged in with both the IDE cable and power. Thanks ahead of time! -IV

-IVHumble Student

Advertisement
Hmmm..this doesn't seem like the right place but...have you tried the Lounge?
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
So nothing is popping on your monitor, right?

Correct me if I am wrong, from my understanding is you don't need Windows installed to just see something on the screen. Because I believe the Bios will send messages like "hey hey ... I have call the memory, graphic card,etc to run" to the screen.
But I could be wrong, it's been a long time.

Btw, you can use a regular boot disk though.
"You need a long-term goal: keep trying and make a small step every day. Don't give up! Keep going, and that will be the shortcut to success." -- Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy Composer)
When it's on I just hear the silent whirring of the fans. When I turn it on I immediately hear a sound like the hard drive has started spinning... that sound you would think like a CD player would sound like.

@orcfan: I would try to lounge, but I don't want to burden them with more hardware questions. I'm a bit of a lounge-rat, and I can say for myself it's nice for the lounge to be filled with more casual posts then hardware inquiries.

@Zimbo: Yeah, I get nothing. On one of my monitors I can check for signal, and it says it gets nothing, and the other monitors just stays in it's sleep mode. And yes, I'm pretty sure I should be seeing a BIOS.

Yeah, it's been on for like 10 minutes now and it's just like it was when it started. I guess that's my worry, there's nothing that seems like it's not right (except for my DVD Drive not coming on).

-IV

-IVHumble Student

Try to completely take out the graphics card and reseat it securely into the AGP slot ( I am assuming it IS AGP )

If it is a PCI graphics card, try taking it out and putting it in another PCI slot.
It gets worse...

It's PCI Express 16. One slot...

-IV

-IVHumble Student

1> you do have a processor installed? ( one of the 'is it plugged in' type questions)

2> make sure the DVD IDE cable is plugged in correctly. If plugged in reversed (yes you can do that with some cables) the drive doesn't work and some MBs dont boot =)
The processor is installed, and I'm 90% sure I did it correctly (and I'm so screwed if I didn't). Let me work a bit on that DVD drive...

-IV

-IVHumble Student

Something is definately not right, you should get everything that you normally get when you turn on a computer except it will come up and say "NON SYSTEM DISK FOUND..." or something to that effect at the stage when you would normally see the Windows loading screen (with the scrolling blue bars :).

It should be making some sort of beeping sounds if things aren't what they should be?
I've already ready slammed the plastic world through the loop to the girl in the fire. If you don't hold your colour, the sounds of life will beckon you to the terminal, by which time, you'll definately be out there.
Try to take another PCI graphics card from your old computer and put it in the slot.

Anonymous poster is correct, I strongly reccomend double checking your processor situation. If it's not securely installed the computer will do what you're describing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement