• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Coaster Kev

Help improving on a logo...

This topic is 4840 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been working on a design for the logo of my latest game, Cybro. My photoshop skills have much to be desired, but here is the first result: This is the first of many renderings, but I'd like ideas on how I improve.

Advertisement
Ahh! I forgot to mention that.

The game is going to be a game show type of game. I'm going for something along the lines of You Don't Know Jack (for anyone who has played it). I'm trying to sell to people of all ages (but mostly teens to late 20s).

The look I'm going for is the logo exploding out of the background. Does that help any?

Developed a slightly thinner, more curved logo:

More information about Cybro. The original plan calls for players (up to 8 per game) to gather and compete in various types of trivia and skill games. As I said above, the game will borrow from the atmosphere of the "You Don't Know Jack" games. Anyone who has played one knows that the games are a lot of fun to play, even if you don't know the answers to the questions.

I'm going for a simple logo, but one that would be associated with the game.

Thanks, but that logo looks a little "grainy".

I'm really trying to keep the logo clean. That's where I improved from my first logo, IMHO. This is all a series of trials until I find something that screams "CYBRO!!!!!"

I like your first attempt better than the second one. For a clean effect, you can always make your logo shining. In the first Cybro, you could add a shining spot (i.e star, halo, etc ) on the 'R'. The text is shining already so you can leave it like that. Plus, you could add an oval background to the text. I would cut that oval in half horizontally, one part would be yellow, the other one another color (maybe bright orange). But it would be bright for sure.

The other idea that poped up in my head is this. (You need to picture it). Imagine you have a rope that goes through the 'O', then goes behing toward the 'C'. Then again infornt toward the 'O', creating like a tornado. Then blurry the rope. I guess this image of Taz depicts better what I am trying to say.
Click Here

Good Luck!

Darkneon

Quote:
Original post by Darkneon
I like your first attempt better than the second one. For a clean effect, you can always make your logo shining. In the first Cybro, you could add a shining spot (i.e star, halo, etc ) on the 'R'. The text is shining already so you can leave it like that. Plus, you could add an oval background to the text. I would cut that oval in half horizontally, one part would be yellow, the other one another color (maybe bright orange). But it would be bright for sure.

The other idea that poped up in my head is this. (You need to picture it). Imagine you have a rope that goes through the 'O', then goes behing toward the 'C'. Then again infornt toward the 'O', creating like a tornado. Then blurry the rope. I guess this image of Taz depicts better what I am trying to say.
Click Here

Good Luck!

Darkneon

Okay, I see what you're saying about the shining spot around the R. I tried added a lense flare to behind the R. I also adjusted the C a little because I felt it didn't look right. This is the result:

How's that look?

I think that it looks too clip-art kind of thing. The reason : you're using ( what seems to be ) some kind of base font, morphing it, but using simple colors either way. That is great by the way, but does not stand out the way you might like it to.

What I would do, is research the kind of imagery / icons that go into gameshow /trivia visuals, and try to branch onto something distinctive .. I don't know what in this case, but if you explore enough images something will catch your eye. Then the final logo will be influenced by this. The result will be extremely natural, and memorable.

Good luck!

Actually, what I meant by the shining effect is putting it on the R like this.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
You just pick a brush that has a star shape and click once to apply :) It's a very basic technique that everybody uses to make shining spots.

So I played a little bit with the image, and here's what I got. Maybe it will inspire you.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Darkneon

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!