• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
WhileTrue

Getting a job as a modeller

This topic is 4849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wonder how necessary a degree is to get a job as a modeller? Can an excellent portfolio make this no longer required? I ask because a buddy of mine has been working for 12 years, he has a small family, and doesn't have the time or opportunity to go to school. We will try to build a killer portfolio for him instead. Plausible? Impossible? Also, what else can he do to leverage his situation / get an edge? --Daniel

Advertisement
Anythings possible, just not very probable. When it comes to degrees, if he is in place next to somebody who does work equal to him, and that guy has a degree, he will be picked without second thought. Best thing to do, is go to night school or something, and try and get a degree.

It's definately possible; check out some of the various companys' job reqs. Neversoft, for instance, does not require a degree.

As long as your portfolio is outstanding, you shouldn't have trouble finding a job (degree or no degree).

As far as an 'edge' goes, get contacts. Meet people, speak with them often, and become good friends because they'll jump at the chance to help you (for the most part).

Quote:
Original post by Nibbuls
It's definately possible; check out some of the various companys' job reqs. Neversoft, for instance, does not require a degree.

As long as your portfolio is outstanding, you shouldn't have trouble finding a job (degree or no degree).

As far as an 'edge' goes, get contacts. Meet people, speak with them often, and become good friends because they'll jump at the chance to help you (for the most part).

I agree with Nibbuls here.

At the company I work at we hire a number of people without a formal education, both as artists and as programmers. What we care about most is the quality of their work and their ability to communicate and get along with the team. If your friend is good at modelling, then he needs to get a really solid portfolio together. Make sure he does not include anything sub-par so that potential employers really only see his good work. A lot of applicants make mistakes thinking they need to have every kind of work in the portfolia, which ultimately shows what they are weak at, be it life drawing or texturing or modelling.

He should also make sure that, if a company requires a test to be completed, that he do so and that he spend as much time on it to make it look great. If they ask you how long it took, don´t lie - the worst situation you and your employer can get into is having to own up to the fact that you are not as fast as you claimed.

It isn´t impossible, but it can be difficult. Just keep working at it and hopefully your friend will find a company that works for him.

- S

Hey Sphet,

Excellent. Thanks for your reply.

Where abouts are you in Vancouver?

I will be going to EA Burnaby in september. Is that where you are working?

Online jobs would be easy to get without a degree. I think www.getacoder.com offers jobs to modellers, and so long as he has a beautiful portfolio, he should be able to get at least a small pay job. Plus, that would get some actually tangible work under his belt, and would make his resume a whole lot brighter, thus making it easier to get a job from a big company.

Anyway, that's just my two cents.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!