• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
daObi

Particle System with DirectX

This topic is 4848 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I would like to know how to render a particle system with DirectX using point sprites. I tried various render states, but all I was shown was dots with no texture. Particle size was not taken into account (I was using Software processing). If DirectX Point Sprites are not very good in rendering particles how do you render particles? Considering: 1. Particle uses 2D/3D geometry, 2. Have Textures applied. 3. Texture vertices are updated for animation. Or how do you render or use particle anyway cause 2D/3D geometry would need continuous updation while moving particles which is not feasable. I'm not experienced. Please help me! -Obi

Advertisement
Hmm... I am guessing you are trying to render point sprites with a 2D texture, correct? If so, are you sure you enabled all the correct render states and such (there are several IIRC). Check the MSDN docs to see if there is anything on the subject.

Edit: Have you tried looking at the included SDK samle for point sprites? That may help you out a bit...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!