Best Symbain SDK?

Started by
5 comments, last by Miranda 18 years, 8 months ago
Hey everyone, I noticed that Sybain has many many SDKs, which the the one that's most up to date? Links for tutorials covering that SDK would be great also if you can give some. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Also, I'm so confused, which is the easiest but effeciate out of J2ME/BREW/Symbain (Considering I don't know Java I know C++ (I know they're simular))? Thanks in advance.
The symbian SDK you need depends on which phone you will be developing for. For example, the nokia 6600 requires symbian series 60 7.0s, but the nokia 6630 requires symbian series 60 8.0a. Let us know what phone you are planning on developing for and we can tell you which sdk you need.

I don't know about BREW, but out of Symbian and J2ME, J2ME is definately easier. Symbian can be quite a pain. Although you can do more with Symbian, if you are just starting out I would recommend J2ME. If you really want to stick to C++, give symbian a go. But if it's too hard, try J2ME instead.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the help. I would like to develop the application for the most used cellphone in the Nokia Series. I don't know if anyone knows what cellphone is most wildly used. If not I guess I'd develop them for the Nokia 60 or 9200 communicator.
I don't know what is the most popular nokia in America, but here in Australian the 6600 is probably the most common series 60 phone.

I would probably download the 7.0s SDK as the 7.0s and 8.0a sdk's aren't too different, but there aren't as many phone on 8.0a i think. Also you can run 7.0s application on 8.0a devices but not the other way around.

The SDK you need also depends on the development environment you will be using.

Personally I had heaps of problems trying to get Symbian going without Visual Studio or Code Warrior, so I suggest you use one of those.

From Forum Nokia download 2nd Edition FP 1 (this is 7.0s) and select the exact download depending on your IDE.

Good Luck,
Miranda
Quote:Original post by Miranda
Also you can run 7.0s application on 8.0a devices

Theoretically :)
Well, really most of, but not completely all.

hehe yeah. Symbian is fun like that...

I probably should say, 7.0s applications can be rebuilt and repackaged in 8.0a without having to change the code, and should probably run on 8.0a devices. [grin]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement