• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sir Sapo

Heat Wave

This topic is 4846 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey Everyone, I'm trying to add a heat wave effect to my game, but I have run into a little problem. As I labeled in the screenshot below, I want to have a "heat wave" emitting from the bottom of the airplane when it is hovering. I'm not quite sure how to do this, but I have an idea. My idea consisted of creating a texture of what was below the airplane, and then rendering a quad under the plane with this texture mapped to it, but have it distorted using a sine function, like in Nehe's Tutorial #11. Is this a good plan? I'm not even sure if it's possible to efficiently grab a certain chunk of the screen and render it to a texture, let alone how I would do it. If anyone could help me with this, or show me another way, please let me know. Thanks.

Advertisement
Yes, that would be a good plan, but in your particluar case - what will be there in the image to distort? If your backround is all the same blue the distorion wont be visible. Why not just create a looping animation of some gray/darker blue particles simulating the heat distorion you want and render it under the plane?

I did consider that, however I would like for the ground(like the aircraft carrier) to be distorted too when I get lower.

Well, then, maybe add some texure with some particles under the plane, not neccesarily animated & do the distorion thing on top of that.. then you will be able to see the distorion when in mid-air, and the ship will be distorted when it comes in range too..

One of nehe's tutorials mentions "a very fast way to update textures" and shows you how to use glTexSubImage (or something like that) which lets you update just part of a texture, which maybe is what you need.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!