• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Elledan

Using the Quake 2 source code for a project

This topic is 4841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Has anyone here experience with using the Quake 2 source code for a project? Any helpful tips or things I should know? I plan to partially rewrite the code in C++, as well as to add some features, some of which may involve heavily modifying the existing code.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
AFAIK there was already a Quake 2 OOP conversion project - http://www.planetquake.com/q2oop/about.shtml

I'm not sure, however, if it's just the game code or the full engine, but it's worth looking at for a starting point.

Quote:
Original post by Toolmaker
Remember that the Quake 2 engine is GPL. Using it (partially) will force you to GPL your project.

Toolmaker

Not true. You can also licence it per game for $10,000 (flat fee). Which means you can sell your game closed source.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
AFAIK there was already a Quake 2 OOP conversion project - http://www.planetquake.com/q2oop/about.shtml

I'm not sure, however, if it's just the game code or the full engine, but it's worth looking at for a starting point.

From the first look of it, it appears that this project has stalled, but I'll browse through the source nonetheless. Thanks for the link ^_^

As far as the GPL status of the Q2 source is concerned, I intend to release the project under the (L)GPL as well, so no problem there.

Quote:
Original post by Elledan
[...]As far as the GPL status of the Q2 source is concerned, I intend to release the project under the (L)GPL as well, so no problem there.
Except that if the code is GPL, you have to release your code under the GPL. No "(L)" to it.

Quote:
Original post by Extrarius
Quote:
Original post by Elledan
[...]As far as the GPL status of the Q2 source is concerned, I intend to release the project under the (L)GPL as well, so no problem there.
Except that if the code is GPL, you have to release your code under the GPL. No "(L)" to it.

Except if you release it under multiple licenses :)

Quote:
Original post by Elledan

No. If you link against the Q2 source, without paying ID for a commercial license, your game is forever tainted and cannot be released as anything but GPL. This is why the word "viral" keeps coming up in discussions about the GPL.

Quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
Quote:
Original post by Elledan

No. If you link against the Q2 source, without paying ID for a commercial license, your game is forever tainted and cannot be released as anything but GPL. This is why the word "viral" keeps coming up in discussions about the GPL.

You're right, of course.

I shouldn't post when I'm nearly asleep >_<

At the very least the Q2 source should show me how to do stuff, allowing me to write my own version of functions. Normally I don't mind GPL programs, or even releasing my own stuff under this license, but in such cases I can understand why people like BSD-style licenses...

Quote:
Original post by Arild Fines

You can still release your code independently, or rewrite your game without using the GPLed code. It's only the combination of your code with the GPLed Q2 code that falls under the GPL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!