Eternal damnation.

Started by
609 comments, last by Fruny 18 years, 8 months ago
First of all, I’m an agnostic that leans more toward belief that the existence of god is improbable, but let’s pretend for a second that the following is unquestionably true: 1) There is a god. 2) Everyone has an immortal soul. 3) There is a hell filled with torture and torment. If this god is just, would he send anyone to hell for eternity? Or should anyone spend eternity in hell? It is my opinion that nobody, no matter how evil, should spend eternity in this type of hell. I’m not saying that there shouldn’t be a Purgatory to deal with people who do horrible things; I just think that people change and they can be truly sorry for what they did. I don’t see how any just god can damn someone to hell for eternity.
-----------------------------Download my real time 3D RPG.
Advertisement
Punishing someone you created, while you were allmighty and allknowing, is quite sick anyway. But no, I don't think anyone deserves to live forever.
Don't think about it too much, or your head will explode. I used to be really scared that I might go to hell, until I realized that the whole thing doesn't make even the slightest bit of sense. [grin]
Quote:Original post by twix
Don't think about it too much, or your head will explode. I used to be really scared that I might go to hell, until I realized that the whole thing doesn't make even the slightest bit of sense. [grin]

Weird advice. You thought about it, and realized that it's bullshit while keeping your head intact. So what's wrong with thinking about it? O_o
Quote:Original post by Matthias Lange
Quote:Original post by twix

Weird advice. You thought about it, and realized that it's bullshit while keeping your head intact. So what's wrong with thinking about it? O_o

I was trying to come up with a logical explanation, and just bailed out when I felt the pressure in my head approaching dangerous levels. [wink]
What’s the point in trying to create a logical argument based on a premise (God) that is improvable?

Ok, so lets assume that a dead fish is God… oh wait we “know” that god cant die, so therefore he can not have been the fish. Witch in it self is logically problematic, because the fish is dead, but he was that. Wow, perhaps he was only the living fish.. Perhaps I should type more pointless philosophical stuff. Nope.
How can you talk about a God that you don't even know? I mean, you're not even sure if he exist... you are far from knowing him personnaly. You cannot assume that God wouldn't do this based on your thoughts only.
Quote:Original post by Kelendil
How can you talk about a God that you don't even know? I mean, you're not even sure if he exist... you are far from knowing him personnaly. You cannot assume that God wouldn't do this based on your thoughts only.

Generally, the OP's argument is derived from the stuff written in the Bible. In other words, the problem is that there's a lot of cognitive dissonance involved in resolving the idea of an infinitely kind and benevolent God (who would apparently sacrifice his own son for us, although why he would need to do that is unclear), and a God who would abandon us sinners to eternal torment.
And if somebody can't really be sorry for what they did (a psychopath), then is it really their fault? 0_o
A sentence of billions and billions of years for a 100 years of sin strikes me as quite excessive.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement