• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CJM

Non-SDL Input?

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, This is going to so sound like I haven't done my research [I have, honest], but anyways: Does anyone know of any input libraries [preferably cross-platform but particularly for win32] out there that are any good outside of SDL, GII and Alegro? I'm currently... dealing with SDL, and am looking for a more lightweight [but preferably portable] solution. I am planning on getting rid of SDL for two main reasons, dll overhead and I hear that there are some issues with SDL input and windows which are not created by SDL. So far, I've only been able to locate [through use of google, the lists on this forum and searching all of gamedev] around 3 such libraries (SDL, GII, Alegro input), but I remember reading an article somewhere a year ago or so which mentioned a fast and lightweight input system. If anyone knew what it was, I would be incredibly interested. I would roll my own, but it would only be win32, and I suspect that the people who make input libraries would have some sort of expertise in the field... Thanks, --CJM

Advertisement
Whats wrong with SDL-input?
If you're just planning to create a console game you can also use SDL. You don't need to create an SDL window in order to use SDL input functions!

Quote:
Whats wrong with SDL-input?
If you're just planning to create a console game you can also use SDL. You don't need to create an SDL window in order to use SDL input functions!

Yeah, I know, but including the whole SDL system just to get the few input functions that I actually use is just too big an overhead. Also, I'm looking for something fast, something which doesn't nessecarilly tie up window messages and the like.

Also, I will have to check out GLFW, thanks Gaenor.

--CJM

Quote:
Original post by CJM

Yeah, I know, but including the whole SDL system just to get the few input functions that I actually use is just too big an overhead. Also, I'm looking for something fast, something which doesn't nessecarilly tie up window messages and the like.

--CJM

Holy shit, people! Now 400 kb of code are an *overhead*?!

Quote:
Original post by Generic Guest
Quote:
Original post by CJM

--CJM

Holy shit, people! Now 400 kb of code are an *overhead*?!

Yes, troll. 400kb of _code_ is. Particularly if that's comparable to the size of the rest of the game.

--CJM

[Edited by - CJM on August 12, 2005 6:47:30 AM]

Quote:
Original post by CJM
Yes, troll. 400kb of _code_ is. Particularly if that's comparable to the size of the rest of the game.

--CJM

You see, I do not want to be rude, but did you measure the size of libc, which your program uses (or do you want to say, that you do not use libc, because it's bloated?). It's around 1,3 Mb. So, it is even more compared to the rest of the game. I can simply want to know why all of you people bother *so much* with the size of the code? What, Linux or Windows loads all the code in the memory? SDL doesn't export too much symbols (very few, in fact), so the load process is fairly fast. Explain, please. (Yup, someone called me troll =))

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by CJM

--CJM

"Anyone who is concerned about the ratio between library and program code should just get to work and write more program code to catch up."

Quote:
Original post by Generic Guest
You see, I do not want to be rude, but did you measure the size of libc, which your program uses (or do you want to say, that you do not use libc, because it's bloated?). It's around 1,3 Mb. So, it is even more compared to the rest of the game.

You're not really comparing the same sort of thing here though, because you won't have to distribute libc/msvcrt.dll with your app, and will not constitute part of the disk space taken up on installation.

PS. Speaking as moderator, to nobody in particular, can we drop both the name-calling and the debate over code size - the original poster has said the goal is to find something more lightweight, and we should respect that request rather than try to insist it's invalid.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!