• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tomer_sh

OpenGL stupid question about OpenGL

This topic is 4849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a problem with this sentence: glVertex3f( 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(-1.0f,-1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f( 1.0f,-1.0f, 0.0f); in all OpenGL examples everything seems normalized, why? are the coords being scaled by some factor? anyway, when I render this triangle it looks big. but, if I draw this triangle in my software renderer it will be so small. it seems that every unit of 1 equals to a bigger number such as 32 or something. thanks, tomer

Advertisement
Opengl forum, please.

No, there is no reason for everything to be normalised. It's just handy to make unit cubes etc for tutorials.

The scaling you see is due to the camera perspective transform. Things that are close look bigger that those that are far away.

Father Ted:
<Holds up plastic toy cow>
Okay Dougal, these are small....
<Points to window, through which cows can be seen grazing>
Those, are far away......

Dougal:
<Looks puzzled, shakes his head & grins>

they are just units in world space, they are not pixel coordinates. In your software renderer, the camera is simply further from the triangle than in your opengl sample. Like MrBastard said, using 1.0s is just easier for simple examples.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!