• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
biggamecoder

im a noob, i got q?'s

This topic is 4848 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey so i just got on today.. and i'm am really interested in learning video game development, i'd like to make games on the side. I've been on forums before for game sites and i known i'll probably get flamed but i don't care, i just got a couple of questions. 1) Can i get a C++ program (is it called a compiler?) for free anywhere? i tried to find it on the forum but no search so.. 2) I'm taking a math in game development online class at my school, it's affiliated with gameinstitute. Is game institute a credible resource on a resume? 3) What do you get out of coding? Why do you enjoy it? I just would like to compare my thoughts to yours

Advertisement
1.Dev-CPP

3.I get the satisfaction of seeing things I created running correctly, also, if I want an App to do something, I don't have to spend a fortune to get it, I can code it myself. Coding is just cool, I get absorbed in it and washed away, I can pass entire days just coding, it's just awesome.

Good Luck!

EDIT: Yes, it is called a compiler.

1) YOu can get a free compiler yeh. I'd suggest Microsoft Visual C++ Express Edition which you can get for free from http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=2556524

There are several free C++ compilers. Assuming that you have a Windows box, you can download either the Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit or the Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition Beta from Microsoft, or you can download MinGW or DevCpp for gcc variants.

If you have a non-Windows machine, chances are that it comes equipped with g++ or has it available. Like the XCode installation that come with Mac OS X.

1. A compiler is the program that turns your human-readable code into a program the computer understands and you can run. The DevC++ IDE comes with the MingW compiler which is free. Microsoft also gives their compiler away for free (Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit) but you'll have to find your own editor. You could use the Visual C++ 2005 Beta edition but I'm not sure how much longer the beta will last.

2. Err, I wouldn't put it on but that is up to you. I think of it more as a learning tool.

3. I love solving problems. It's what keeps life interesting. The best feeling is spending a long time coding a solution just to see it work. And you?

Thanks guys, very helpful..
i took a class last year on VB.net, but at the time i wasn't interested in coding it was just for my degree track and it was kinda over my head. But, it was fun to see my apps run and stuff, even though they were very basic and simple.. oh, i got windows thanks. I just beat tes3 like 2 months ago and I'm thinking more and more each day that making video games seems like it would be a lot of fun.. after all i've been playing them all my life so i know what is good and bad and cliche and stuff like that, i just wanna learn how to code to kinda 'round out' my knowledge of video games and computers, and so maybe i can do that on the side or as a job while i get my grad. degree in astronautical engineering..

but thanks for the answers i appreciate the resources you guys have.. so..

do i have to buy an editor? and what is a good one besides the beta? are they all the same? are they expensive?

What do you mean by editor? Dev-CPP which I gave a link to in my first post is a free Compiler, which is all you need to start programming in C or C++.

If you're a student, Microsoft offers special licences for special prices. Those licenses are called 'SSL' here in Germany but have most likely different names in other countries. Check for 'Academic Version' or 'Student Version'.
You'll get a full MS Visual Studio Professional for around $110. Nevertheless you may use it for non-commercial use "only".
I consider the MSVS to be the best IDE & Compiler package.
But I can also recommend starting with Dev-C++. You'll have a little less features and the integration of the debugger (A tool to find errors in your code) is very poor, compared to the VS, which is pretty annoying if you get into more advanced and complex stuff.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!