Maya 6.0 And Direct X Exporting

Started by
2 comments, last by k00k 18 years, 8 months ago
Guy's I know alot of us have asked what do we need todo to get Maya 6.0/6.5 to properly export to .x files .. well Im asking again because this is really killing me here. I have even tried using Blender to export my models and with The SampleFramework I cannot Load models that I export. I can load any of microsoft models no problem but thats really not going to do me any good now is it. :0 With maya I have tried applying directx shaders to my objects still crashes my engine with DrawSubset Errors .. and with blender it seems to do the same errors. im not even trying to use any textures with anything. possibly could this be due to my Effect file being messed up or something? does anyone have a tutorial on how to properly setup maya or blender and export to .x file with the new sdk's sampleframework. please any information would greatly be a help. thanks guys
Advertisement
Actually after playing with my effect file i think i have found that this is the problem. can anyone provide me with a simple DirectX Mesh and an Effect File that they have written. Or Explain these Effect Files in Detail here. All im basically trying to create is a simple Poly Cube Shapped SkyBox with of course a texture on the Top, Bottom, Front, Back, Left and Right. thanks again guys.
The tool that you are going to want to test your X-File against is DX Viewer. No longer MView. DX Viewer supports the DirectX Standard Annotations and Semantics (SAS) 1.0 so you can mark up your FX file's parameters with binding information that tells the engine how to fill the parameters with information such as world, view, projection matrices, lighting, etc.
There are samples of FX files with SAS markup in the SharedFx directory in the last two DXSDKs and more are appearing each release.

DX Viewer has the ability to load FX files directly and apply them to a sphere or X files to get the model and whatever FX files it may be associated with via effect instances. I suggest that you start your debugging process by testing the effect file you will be using with DX Viewer for compatability. (and/or use the previewer built into the maya exporter to make sure your geometry is right).

MView was much pickier about bad geometry than DX Viewer so i suspect that you problem may be that your mesh has some bad artifacts that are allowable in maya such as back to back polygons which share vertices, bowties, and manifold issues.

If the problem still occurs, zip up your maya file and FX file and send it to DirectX@microsoft.com

-Daniel Horowitz
DirectX Solutions

Wonderful thanks for the response I will look into doing some of the things you mentioned. On that note I have been playing around with my effect files and I do belive that is the problem im having. if I run into anything else ill be sure to post it up. thanks again

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement