• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ElitePrograms

I need a C compiler.

This topic is 4846 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Do you have a C++ compiler? Most C++ compilers will compile code as C if you name the input file with a .c extension. Otherwise, there are a number of free C/C++ compilers available. For Mac OS X and *nix systems, gcc generally comes bundled with the operating system. For Windows, you can download the Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit or Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition Beta from Microsoft, or get MinGW, a Windows port of gcc for free.

Personally, I'd recommend DevC++ (the IDE link from Fruny's post) since LCC is only free for non-commercial use. The only reason I've looked into LCC is that it is the default backend for the BCX Basic-to-C translator. LCC includes the C99 extensions to the C language and is kind of nonstandard as a result. The ANSI/ISO standard C is supported by DevC++ and others.

DevC++ is very nice if you're starting out or if you're experienced. It has great functionality, and is free. In fact, it has sample OpenGL programs in it too that you can play around with as well :-)

I believe DevC++ supports C and C++.

I until very recently, used DevC++, but when I got my hands on a copy of .NET, I just had to justify the cost by using it :-)

Quote:
Original post by samuraicrow
Personally, I'd recommend DevC++ (the IDE link from Fruny's post) since LCC is only free for non-commercial use. The only reason I've looked into LCC is that it is the default backend for the BCX Basic-to-C translator. LCC includes the C99 extensions to the C language and is kind of nonstandard as a result. The ANSI/ISO standard C is supported by DevC++ and others.

Actually, lcc-win32 supports the C99 standard. C99 is not an extension to the C language but rather the latest specification (ISO/IEC 9899-1999, Programming Languages - C). Lcc-win32 also supports non standard extensions. That support can be turned off.

Quote:
Original post by samuraicrow
Personally, I'd recommend DevC++ (the IDE link from Fruny's post) since LCC is only free for non-commercial use.

I second that. Plus, DevC++ is user friendly.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!