• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pichu

distributing complete DirectX applications to other computers?

This topic is 4850 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've tried a few times to ship a compiled DirectX executable (and models/textures) to a computer other than the one I created it on, but it rarely ever works. It seems that only computers that I've used for programming can run my program. How do you prepare a program to run on a regular person's computer?

Advertisement
You haven't given us much togo on, but I am guessing that your problem is that you need to distribute D3DX with your executable. D3DX is no longer statically linked with your program (it is a dll now), and this has caused lots of headaches. One of the issues is that the latest available download of DirectX does not include the D3DX dlls, so you need to distribute them yourself.

This generally manifests as only being able to run your program on computers that have the SDK installed, but nowhere else. To fix this problem, go to the redistributable in your SDK directory, remove everything but the installation components and the d3dx component, and then run the install on the other computers.

For simplicity, I packaged together some useful install components and posted them here.

Yeah, I ran across that problem a few months ago when I moved on to DX 9.0c, since then, I've included d3dx9_24.dll and d3dx9_25.dll in all of my projects. (I could be wrong, but I don't think it even ran on my PC without those files)
My application will run on computers that don't have the DX SDK, but those computers still have a compiler and the associated software.
I'm sorry I can't give you too much more info, I wasn't actually the person trying to run the application.

Are you still using debug versions of any of the libraries you are using? And since you weren't running it, are you sure they have 9.0c?

That might be it, is there some way for me to tell if they're the debug versions? And where would the release versions of the libraries be stored?
I'm fairly certain they had 9.0c.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!